Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Paint Protection

Old 03-08-2016, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone, I've been looking at the trailskinz for a while. They seem expensive, but are certainly a lot cheaper than a paint job or repeated detailing. My only concern is that they either don't adhere magnetically to a less than clean surface or they aren't strong enough and just get peeled off by branches.

Anyone have these that can provide a review?
Old 03-17-2016, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't use anything to protect the paint. I debated doing so because my rig cost me a lot of money, plus upgrades, but here's what I figure: Pinstripes and the like are necessary evils of professional wheeling. It doesn't mean you're careless, it means you drive trails. Every scratch on my rig is from challenging a legitimate, well-known trail. You won't find me out trashing my rig in a mud pit just to get it dirty, or blazing through brush just for the hell of it. Every scratched was earned while I was experiencing something great, and I bought the rig to see those trails. Not to win detailing contests.

Meanwhile, my OCD about perfect paint has been hog-tied and stuffed in a trunk in the back of my head. Because I prefer to have a clean and perfect vehicle. It's taken a lot of deep breathing and finding my zen to just "let it go". The scratches are evidence of great trips, and well-loved and used rigs just aren't perfect.

So I guess that's encouragement to save your money now, those scratches are going to happen if you ever get really into it. Be careful when and where you can, but my advice is to invest your mental energy into enjoying the trip rather than spending so much time, money, and worry on wraps, clings, tape, and other preventive OCD stuff. That's just my $0.02.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk_sea
I don't use anything to protect the paint. I debated doing so because my rig cost me a lot of money, plus upgrades, but here's what I figure: Pinstripes and the like are necessary evils of professional wheeling. It doesn't mean you're careless, it means you drive trails. Every scratch on my rig is from challenging a legitimate, well-known trail. You won't find me out trashing my rig in a mud pit just to get it dirty, or blazing through brush just for the hell of it. Every scratched was earned while I was experiencing something great, and I bought the rig to see those trails. Not to win detailing contests. Meanwhile, my OCD about perfect paint has been hog-tied and stuffed in a trunk in the back of my head. Because I prefer to have a clean and perfect vehicle. It's taken a lot of deep breathing and finding my zen to just "let it go". The scratches are evidence of great trips, and well-loved and used rigs just aren't perfect. So I guess that's encouragement to save your money now, those scratches are going to happen if you ever get really into it. Be careful when and where you can, but my advice is to invest your mental energy into enjoying the trip rather than spending so much time, money, and worry on wraps, clings, tape, and other preventive OCD stuff. That's just my $0.02.
This is a very sensible way of thinking about it, and I really like how you've stated it. I'm just not sure if I can convince that annoying crybaby in my head of the same approach. I've been in contact with Trailskinz, so I will likely go that route, but I will keep your words in mind when the inevitable 'oops' happens.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
I don't use anything to protect the paint. I debated doing so because my rig cost me a lot of money, plus upgrades, but here's what I figure: Pinstripes and the like are necessary evils of professional wheeling. It doesn't mean you're careless, it means you drive trails. Every scratch on my rig is from challenging a legitimate, well-known trail. You won't find me out trashing my rig in a mud pit just to get it dirty, or blazing through brush just for the hell of it. Every scratched was earned while I was experiencing something great, and I bought the rig to see those trails. Not to win detailing contests.

Meanwhile, my OCD about perfect paint has been hog-tied and stuffed in a trunk in the back of my head. Because I prefer to have a clean and perfect vehicle. It's taken a lot of deep breathing and finding my zen to just "let it go". The scratches are evidence of great trips, and well-loved and used rigs just aren't perfect.

So I guess that's encouragement to save your money now, those scratches are going to happen if you ever get really into it. Be careful when and where you can, but my advice is to invest your mental energy into enjoying the trip rather than spending so much time, money, and worry on wraps, clings, tape, and other preventive OCD stuff. That's just my $0.02.
I detail as a side job out of my house, and I keep my JK show and cruise ready at all times unless I am actively in the woods wheeling. Some day, I will likely wear through the clear, as I hit it with the Flex polisher to keep it scratch and swirl free, but I do immediately re-coat it with a ceramic/glass coating so that the damage is typically limited to the coating and never gets to the actual paint. I spend about 40 hours detailing it after a weekend out. The frame, axles, everything.... it all has to be perfect, or I can't sleep at night! I have serious mental issues about clean cars and seeing swirls. I go to car shows and cruises and note that my Jeep Wrangler has better finished paint than 80% of the cars that people think look so perfect.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by larry0071
I detail as a side job out of my house, and I keep my JK show and cruise ready at all times unless I am actively in the woods wheeling. Some day, I will likely wear through the clear, as I hit it with the Flex polisher to keep it scratch and swirl free, but I do immediately re-coat it with a ceramic/glass coating so that the damage is typically limited to the coating and never gets to the actual paint. I spend about 40 hours detailing it after a weekend out. The frame, axles, everything.... it all has to be perfect, or I can't sleep at night! I have serious mental issues about clean cars and seeing swirls. I go to car shows and cruises and note that my Jeep Wrangler has better finished paint than 80% of the cars that people think look so perfect.
What products would you recommend? I have a Porter Cable random orbital buffer I might have to break out.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepJK_Hfx
What products would you recommend? I have a Porter Cable random orbital buffer I might have to break out.
I guess everyone develops a personal list of go to products, but if you all me what I like to use (and you did! ) I'd say to do your normal microfiber wash with quality car shampoo, use Meguiars clay kit on the Jeep (available at Walmart, Target, Parts stores), after its clayed you would decide if it's in need of polishing out defects or if it's ready for the coating.

Do a 20% isopropyl alcohol and 80% distilled water mix in a spray bottle and spray your paint down heavy. Leave it on to dwell for about 3 minutes and wipe off with microfiber. Buff dry with another MF towel.

Let dry for a half hour to an hour. You want it dry, even behind trim and such.

Now apply Duragloss Enviroshield Ceramic coating per instructions. Leave your jeep in the garage and let that cure 6 hours, then apply a second coat.

I also use C.A.R. Bulletproof Coating (BP1) , and I've tried the BP2 bulletproof 2. I have not had good luck with the BP2 and I strongly recommend the BP1.

Both are very easy to use, both provide a very slick, Teflon like surface, and both add a microscopic layer to your clear coat that can only be removed by abrasive polish.

Then, every wash is followed by a Souray down with Meguiars X-press synthetic spray wax (synthetic sealant) to add even more insanity to the sickness.

At this point, your Jeep will look like shimmering wet paint. After wheeling, you wash and spray with your X-press Synthetic spray wax and your jeep looks and feels amazing.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Where do you get duragloss and bp1? I'll have check those out

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 03-19-2016, 08:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally don't do anything, sure it was a bummer at first but, you get used to the pinstripes, their battle scars ! It's a Jeep and you have testament that you actually went wheeling. Some thing I thought of 8 years ago when I bought my Jeep new just came out with in the last year or two. It's magnetic plastic sign material that you just stick to the sides of your Jeep.They sell two different ones at 4 wheel parts, take a look.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I made my own magnetic skins. Had them for about three or so years and they work great. They stay on with bush, highway speed and torrential rain. Also a great platform for decals . Only tips if you make your own is use scissors to cut them as a craft knife will kick the top surface up. I also put a 3/4 inch radius on all corners. Only think that will pop them off is a pressure washer under an edge.

I have sold copies of my patterns but they are not that hard to create from scratch just use old posters for pattern paper and take your time.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:50 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larry0071
I guess everyone develops a personal list of go to products, but if you all me what I like to use (and you did! ) I'd say to do your normal microfiber wash with quality car shampoo, use Meguiars clay kit on the Jeep (available at Walmart, Target, Parts stores), after its clayed you would decide if it's in need of polishing out defects or if it's ready for the coating.

Do a 20% isopropyl alcohol and 80% distilled water mix in a spray bottle and spray your paint down heavy. Leave it on to dwell for about 3 minutes and wipe off with microfiber. Buff dry with another MF towel.

Let dry for a half hour to an hour. You want it dry, even behind trim and such.

Now apply Duragloss Enviroshield Ceramic coating per instructions. Leave your jeep in the garage and let that cure 6 hours, then apply a second coat.

I also use C.A.R. Bulletproof Coating (BP1) , and I've tried the BP2 bulletproof 2. I have not had good luck with the BP2 and I strongly recommend the BP1.

Both are very easy to use, both provide a very slick, Teflon like surface, and both add a microscopic layer to your clear coat that can only be removed by abrasive polish.

Then, every wash is followed by a Souray down with Meguiars X-press synthetic spray wax (synthetic sealant) to add even more insanity to the sickness.

At this point, your Jeep will look like shimmering wet paint. After wheeling, you wash and spray with your X-press Synthetic spray wax and your jeep looks and feels amazing.

damn that sounds like waaaay to much work lol...

Quick Reply: Paint Protection