Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Parachord vs Corbeau Style Grab Straps

Old 08-08-2014, 11:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parachord vs Corbeau Style Grab Straps

Which is better: parachord style or the Corbeau style? I have a JKU 2014

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-08-2014, 11:45 PM
JK Freak

My rubicon came with some handles that strap on to the roll cage, while i had the top off i installed them easily enough, I personally rarely if ever need them but shorter people find it easier to get in and out of my jeep with them on, they work, they are easy on the hand, they look good, and they are durable.

as for the 2 you asked about, the corbeau look alot like the mopars that came in my jeep for the handles, with a slightly different attachment system to the rollbars, so if I was buying parachord or corbeau, I would srsly consider going with the corbeaus because they have the rubberized handles, but I dont see anything wrong with the parachords either, maybe find the ones you think look the best or cost less and go with them for those reasons!
Old 08-09-2014, 01:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HNTRJMPR2006
Which is better: parachord style or the Corbeau style? I have a JKU 2014
Thanks!
The Corbeau style is more comfortable & durable.

You may also want to consider this -

Months of use, by me and others, convinced me that the location of such grab handles isn't right:
With the handle hung above the center of the entry space and a hand grabbing it, the motion of going in, is moving the body "through" the hand that grabs the handle -- which is awkward. I hope I managed to explains it.

An ergonomically correct location is at the front corner of each door, where the use of the handle is more natural & comfortable.
Corner handle are made of metal, so they are solid, which makes them even more comfortable.
Another thing which makes metal handles more ergonomic is the angled grip, vs the horizontal grip of the Corbeau style.

Out of the various options of corner handles, the Synergy seemed to have the best grip angle, so I installed them front & rear.

They are more expensive, but the improved comfort of a mod that's used daily, sometimes many times per day, was worth it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grab Handles 004.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	570233 Click image for larger version

Name:	Grab Handles -- Rear.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	570234

I further "modded the mod" by wrapping them with Self-fusing Silicone Tape:
Link -- Robot Check

Name:	Grab Handle 2 - Wrapped - Resized.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	570238

Last edited by GJeep; 08-09-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep
The Corbeau style is more comfortable & durable.

You may also want to consider this -

Months of use, by me and others, convinced me that the location of such grab handles isn't right:
With the handle hung above the center of the entry space and a hand grabbing it, the motion of going in, is moving the body "through" the hand that grabs the handle -- which is awkward. I hope I managed to explains it.

An ergonomically correct location is at the front corner of each door, where the use of the handle is more natural & comfortable.
Corner handle are made of metal, so they are solid, which makes them even more comfortable.
Another thing which makes metal handles more ergonomic is the angled grip, vs the horizontal grip of the Corbeau style.

Out of the various options of corner handles, the Synergy seemed to have the best grip angle, so I installed them front & rear.

They are more expensive, but the improved comfort of a mod that's used daily, sometimes many times per day, was worth it.

Attachment 570233 Attachment 570234

I further "modded the mod" by wrapping them with Self-fusing Silicone Tape.
Link -- Robot Check
those look pretty snazzy, if I needed the handles I would probably spring for these, they look **** good.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:51 AM
JK Freak

I have the para chord handles and love them. They are great for the kids getting in and out. My wife did say she felt it was in the road sometimes so I stretched it tighter so it didn't hang so low, however she does use it while we are off-road. The nice thing is they can be made in 100's of colors to your liking. But it's really personal preference.

Name:	image-2859781844.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	570235

The corner handles are sweet and I would like to put a set up front just for getting in the jeep!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

I LOVE the style of the Corbeaus a lot cuz they look like they'd be more comfortable to grab. I'm only 5', so they'd be a great help and I could use them to grab when putting the top up/off

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-09-2014, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Very nice GJeep. Very informative. And trouty33's might be a good option for a fun project to do with the kids. Finally I can get away from making bracelets! Lol. Of course the metal ones sure would look good wrapped...

Trending Topics

Old 08-12-2014, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

I just picked up some paracord grab handles like trouty33's as well. The are very sturdy as they are mounted to one of the visor bolts at one end and the other end wraps around the roll bar. I got mine online from Surprise Straps in Arizona, you can choose from dozens of color combinations to match/compliment your Jeep's color. They aren't cheap, but they are durable and well made.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-98762512.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	570892  
Old 08-12-2014, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
My thoughts exactly

I ended up making my own paracord grab handles following instructions on youtube

Name:	IMG_00000454.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	570895Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000457.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	570896Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000459.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	570897
Old 08-17-2014, 11:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My corbeaus lasted about 3 months before tearing.
:(

I use them to get into the jeep every day.

Quick Reply: Parachord vs Corbeau Style Grab Straps