Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Possibly stupid winching questions, but would rather know than not

Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Possibly stupid winching questions, but would rather know than not

So my winch will be put in next week and I've been reading up on using the thing and have a couple of unanswered questions.
I know that the best anchor point would be a big tree, but here in the plains where wheat fields abound a tree is not always available. So, my question is can you use a telephone pole or fence post?

Second, when using a snatch block and a double line, can you hook the winch hook to the tow hooks on the front of the jeep, or is that a disaster recipe?

Last, my list of essential recovery gear: tree saver, shackle, jerk strap, shovel, snatch block, and gloves. Any other add-ons?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you look about set... as far as needing a winch point with no trees...there are a couple options. There was a thread about some device (kinda pricy) that was a mobile anchor point. I would definitely recommend one if I did a lot of sand driving.

Best bet is to have someone with you to pull/winch you out if you get stuck

you can also invest in three 4-5 ft steel poles that can be hammered into the ground at a certain angle and used as an anchor point. its a bitch getting them back out of the ground a lot of time though.

as far as the winch and snatch block... attached the block to your anchor point run cable to it and back to the hooks on the jeep. Drings or shakles would be better. Just let the winch do the work so the winch hook does not slip off your tow hook
Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Junkie

get a pull pal
Old 09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

x2 on the get a Pull Pal.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pull pal is the "mobile anchor point" device that the second poster was talking about. Expensive...but just like other recovery gear, it pays for itself the first time that it saves you a long walk.

Regarding steel poles hammered into the ground -

As far as telephone poles or fenceposts go, I wouldn't bet on it. Most fenceposts won't hold up to the strain. Many telephone poles also have electrical lines strung along the top. If you happen to hook onto one that is in bad shape, your problems could very quickly go from "My Jeep is stuck in a mud hole." to "My Jeep is stuck in an electrified mud hole that will probably kill me if I step out."

Or worse.
The following users liked this post:
Simikilr (12-19-2023)
Old 09-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Red
JK Enthusiast

You can hook to anything that is solid. Fenceposts are generally not solid enough. Telephone poles are, but that whole electrical line thing is kind of scary. It all depends on the circumstances. If you have to pull yourself out and all you have is a telephone pole, give it a try, but it wouldn't be my first choice. The Pull Pal is a great invention. A bit expensive, but as someone said, worth every penny with the first use. My biggest problem with the Pull Pal is that it seems to take up too much space in the truck, even when folded down. If you use it a lot, then its worth the space it takes up, otherwise, its more in the way than its worth. There are lots of other things you can do, like bury a tire and hook up to that. The thing is they all require lots of time and effort. Creativitiy is the key to finding/making and anchor point. It doesn't have to look good, it just has to work. For it to work, it has to be solid. As for connecting to the tow hook, it will work. Go slow and keep an eye on it. A d ring would be a better point, but using the tow hook in itself isn't a disaster waiting to happen, just be careful. As a final note, put something over the cable, it doesn't have to be heavy, a jacket or blanket or tow recovery strap will do. If the cable slips off the tow hook or the cable breaks, draping someing over the cable will send it downwards towards the ground, reducing the risk of injury or damage to you and your vehicle.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by w squared
"My Jeep is stuck in an electrified mud hole that will probably kill me if I step out."
I am going to quote you in my signature. That is amazing.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by w squared

Regarding steel poles hammered into the ground -

i have seen this done with a rig before and it worked really well... and for a cost of about 50 bucks. Obviously it is not as "pretty" as a $700 pul pal... but it does the job.

it also work extremely well for ATVs

when i bought my ramsey 8500 winch, it also came with a diagram explaining this set up

Last edited by 07JKX; 09-18-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

I was checking out the pull pal and it really does kinda look like a boat anchor! Can't you just use a boat anchor is its large enough??? I'd be curious to try a Danforth and see if it would work.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Jeepers have a deadman anchor with them at all times but most don't know it. It's your spare tire. Make a tear drop shaped hole use your tree saver to create an anchor point around the tire,bury your spare perpendicular to the direction of pull and you have a bomber anchor point. read about deadman anchors for more info. From the Mobi.

Quick Reply: Possibly stupid winching questions, but would rather know than not