Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Question about my airing up needs

Old 05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about my airing up needs

I just need a reliable compressor to air up after wheeling and a portable will be just fine for me. I can pick up a fairly new (used once) VIAR 300P with bag and accessories from someone for $100 but I need to act fast. Is this a good deal since these are $150 new at the stores or should I just spend $40 less and get a new Harbor Freight or MV50 compressor? I have the 32" Rubi MT's and may go to 33" in the distant future. And I might want to mount it at some point but not necessary.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JkFam
I just need a reliable compressor to air up after wheeling and a portable will be just fine for me. I can pick up a fairly new (used once) VIAR 300P with bag and accessories from someone for $100 but I need to act fast. Is this a good deal since these are $150 new at the stores or should I just spend $40 less and get a new Harbor Freight or MV50 compressor? I have the 32" Rubi MT's and may go to 33" in the distant future. And I might want to mount it at some point but not necessary.
I have the MV50 compressor and this thing is a champ! I've had it for at least two years now and I run 35" tires and it's still going strong. It does get pretty hot after two tires so I generally let it sit for a few minutes between tire to cool down. I've been thinking about buying another so I can swap between them and air up twice as fast, at $50ish it's hard to beat.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

We used a buddy's VIAIR on our last wheeling trip (not sure if it was the same model you're looking at) and it was, hands-down, the best compressor out of any of the rest of the ones people brought along.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dremex
I have the MV50 compressor and this thing is a champ! I've had it for at least two years now and I run 35" tires and it's still going strong. It does get pretty hot after two tires so I generally let it sit for a few minutes between tire to cool down. I've been thinking about buying another so I can swap between them and air up twice as fast, at $50ish it's hard to beat.
yes, I know this MV50 has good reviews and the price is good. And after 2 years of use, that's impressive. thanks for the reply
Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
We used a buddy's VIAIR on our last wheeling trip (not sure if it was the same model you're looking at) and it was, hands-down, the best compressor out of any of the rest of the ones people brought along.
I have not been able to find bad reviews on the portable VIAIR units and they seems to be well made. thanks for confirming it!
Old 05-11-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the mv-50 till it got lost now i got the arb air compressor and the mv produced more air for my tires
Old 05-11-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JkFam
go with the viair with the biggest tank you can find.... the mv50's are crap....they have to cool like 20 minutes after 2 tires... go with and on board system...not to hard to hook up....plus ready to go when you need it..
I have my compressor under the hood....tank under a skid with the evap canister (river raider)... my quick connect just in front of license plate on side of jeep... and my on/off switch and pressure gauge in dash.. the best past is you get to cut holes in your jeep.... that is sooo liberating !!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jcrcan25

the mv50's ..they have to cool like 20 minutes after 2 tires...
That isn't true, in my experience.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110511_205639.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	159574  
Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What bracket are you using to mount your compressor?
Im thinking about mounting my HF under the hood on mine.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:24 AM
JK Junkie

I have a Sinister Fabworks bracket for Viair comps. I just had to reverse one of the brackets on the MV50.

Quick Reply: Question about my airing up needs