Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recommendation for Tire Deflator?

Old 08-03-2018, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRubycon
I use this goofy home-brew contraption. Equalizes pressure between tires while it's at it. Bit convoluted, ended up not being the cheapest since I had some trouble finding some parts I wanted, but works like a dream! Airs down 2 tires at a time to exactly the same pressure, quick and easy as can be.
One day I'm gonna make me a fancy tire deflated like yours...until then, I just pull the valve core.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002NEUOGG/ref=psdcmw_15709141_t1_B075LX942GAlthough i swear they were half the price when I got them. Put them on and check the tpms on the dash periodically.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Wuebben.2
One day I'm gonna make me a fancy tire deflated like yours...until then, I just pull the valve core.
It took me easily 20x as long to find all the bits and pieces as it did to put it together. Assembly is a snap, but finding everything can be a little tricky.

Admittedly, I was originally looking for a cross connector and wasted a ton of time trying to find one. It would be better than using a pair of T's, but I looked high and low to no avail. They're available online, but I was impatient and wanted one right away.

Just tried it out with the new hoses I installed the other day (the ones in the picture), and while I have WAY too much length on it, it works AMAZINGLY well. Can air down a pair of tires in around a minute or so (depending on how low you go) and makes airing up really easy too, since I can hook my compressor straight into it and air up 2 at a time as well. Even though I ended up spending way too much on the whole setup (probably put $50-60 into it total, I lost track with all the different pieces and replacement hoses and whatnot, since I made a poor choice on my first attempt) I'm extremely pleased with the end result.

Last edited by RedRubycon; 08-07-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are Stauns designed to manage different ranges of pressure, some for the high pressure truck tyres etc, working above about 30 psi; then there's the Standard Stauns - about 10psi to 35 psi; and finally the low pressure jobbies, intended for rock crawlers etc, about 0-12psi (don't quote me on the specific psi levels, but the ranges are somewhere along those lines!) So if you regularly want to go LOW, ie down to 8psi or less, then you should look at getting the lower pressure Stauns; and similarly for whatever your normal pressure choices are!

And while Stauns are certainly one of the better options on the market, there are others out there! Apart from the different style Tyre Deflators like the ARB jobbies https://wheelstips.com/best-tire-inflator there are also units like the Trailhead deflators (used to be Oasis) that are almost identical to the Stauns in operation, except they get adjusted with an allen key and they are more accurate! They are also more expensive and more fiddly to set! All up, I'd go the Stauns most of the time, and the Trailheads if you frequently use low pressures and need accuracy in that lower range!
On YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on this topic, I will share with you, one of them, hope this will help someone. Good luck!

Last edited by Jadrin; 09-20-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Recommendation for Tire Deflator?