Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recovery in AZ

Old 05-02-2016, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovery in AZ

Peeps, got a lot of experience wheeling JK's in mud/ sand and wet stuff in FL. But not much experience in AZ. So question, how do I self recover( easiest way) with nothing to attach a winch line to? Sure there are land anchors, but that's big and I don't really wanna store it for the 3 times a year I need it. Ideas?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Do not wheel by yourself.

There are some video's with equipment you can self recover with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR3LUgZXw2Q
Old 05-02-2016, 10:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, out here in the desert we almost always have to hook a winch to another rig.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Well damn, that's sucks. I'm usually the one that ends up being called to rescue the dumb friends. Does anyone around here use land anchors? I hate the idea of it, but....
Old 05-02-2016, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Also, what do you desert guys bring with you besides the usual junk ( tools wise ) I mean you get broke out here it's literally BFE. I always brought big socket set, wrenches, BFH, recovery kit, jeeps got winch.. And desert specific tools/ things I should bring?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peterg
Well damn, that's sucks. I'm usually the one that ends up being called to rescue the dumb friends. Does anyone around here use land anchors? I hate the idea of it, but....
Only land anchor that works well is the Pul-Pal. I have one, haven't needed it yet. One of my buddies has one and has used it several times. There are others but I cant say how well they work.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peterg
Also, what do you desert guys bring with you besides the usual junk ( tools wise ) I mean you get broke out here it's literally BFE. I always brought big socket set, wrenches, BFH, recovery kit, jeeps got winch.. And desert specific tools/ things I should bring?
I always wheel with a group, but I bring tools, rear driveshaft, steering box, fluids, brake lines, recovery gear and miscellaneous small times like u joints, bolts, etc.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

http://www.arizona4x4offroadrecovery.com/

Never needed them but just in case I can't fix it myself his numbers in my phone.

Last edited by BLK08JK; 05-02-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you'd have a helluva time digging a hole to use a pull pal in most places here. The ground is so hard, it would suck.

As far as other tools, tire patch kit and water. LOTS and lots of water.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best advice is to avoid getting stuck in the first place as there's not much to strap onto down here in the valley and as strong as those Saguaros cacti look i wouldn't suggest using one
You'll most likely will end up needing another vehicle to hook onto. Up north there's plenty of large trees tho.
Best way to avoid getting stuck is making sure you air down your tires a lot, especially when in soft sand. i usually air my 35" KM2s down to 15psi or so. The trails out here can be very long, some are 60+ miles so make sure you're well equipped with supplies just incase you do get stuck and have to wait for recovery

Quick Reply: Recovery in AZ