Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Rescue straps all knotted

Old 04-08-2018, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rescue straps all knotted

I just used my rescue straps to pull down a tree. And now they are mated together forever? I've looked up a few responses to this problem, and it seems a bunch of folks toss them after they get a knot in them. Is it really that unsafe to reuse them? And if so, how do you unknot them? Thanks!
Old 04-09-2018, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The knot does reduce strength somewhat, but i wouldn't throw them away if they were mine.
Next time you're joining 2 straps together put a rolled up magazine in the knot to make it MUCH easier to undo it. (NEVER use bow shackles to join straps)
Old 04-09-2018, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did read someone suggested tapping around the knot with a rubber mallet until it loosens. And it worked. And they were not technically knots. It was where I joined 2 together. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2018, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You’ve got an axe knot. Guess why they call it an axe knot!!

Try the mallet trick, I’ve used it many times on rope.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eng23ine
The knot does reduce strength somewhat, but i wouldn't throw them away if they were mine.
Next time you're joining 2 straps together put a rolled up magazine in the knot to make it MUCH easier to undo it. (NEVER use bow shackles to join straps)

Why not?? if the shackle has the proper WLL limit I seen know reason they can't be used, unless crane operators and tow trucks are doing it wrong.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by akguy09
Why not?? if the shackle has the proper WLL limit I seen know reason they can't be used, unless crane operators and tow trucks are doing it wrong.
Because crane operators and tow trucks don't "snatch" on their straps. The strap will break long before the bow shackle does and then you have a missile coming back at you.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Because crane operators and tow trucks don't "snatch" on their straps. The strap will break long before the bow shackle does and then you have a missile coming back at you.
Use a soft shackle.
The following users liked this post:
eng23ine (04-24-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 05:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

I'd say this is the same as using synthetic line on a winch. If strap breaks it's gonna fall the ground, unlike a steel winch cable with tension on it that would come flying back at you if it snapped. That shackle isn't going to come flying back like a missile. Am I wrong?
Old 04-18-2018, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So then we can all take the shackles off the bumpers, because we aren't going to attach to those if we are "snatching" the vehicle. I do agree that soft shackles are a better option.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'd say this is the same as using synthetic line on a winch. If strap breaks it's gonna fall the ground, unlike a steel winch cable with tension on it that would come flying back at you if it snapped. That shackle isn't going to come flying back like a missile. Am I wrong?
Perhaps... but I still wouldn't do it. I know a snatch strap stores energy (it's got a built in stretch capability)... Once I found soft shackles, I switched to them...
The following users liked this post:
eng23ine (04-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Rescue straps all knotted