Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

rock rails, frame vs body bolt on

Old 10-05-2017, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
I had mine professionally mounted by my body shop. Bolted and welded on. Then I Rhino Lined the area just above the rails to black-out everything below the doors.

Mine are holding up really well. A few wheeling trips and a lot of time standing on the steps.I love them! I also like the added side impact protection they could provide now that my son drives the keep. The step surface will need another coat of paint soon.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are holding up really well. A few wheeling trips and a lot of time standing on the steps.I love them! I also like the added side impact protection they could provide now that my son drives the keep. The step surface will need another coat of paint soon.
Are you running the white knuckle rails too? I'm assuming with the diamond plate option.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cabmak4life78
Are you running the white knuckle rails too? I'm assuming with the diamond plate option.
Oh yea! Before I decided which ones to buy, I was at a jeep jamboree and got to see MANY different brands in person. These were top notch.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cabmak4life78
Just picked up a set of these myself. How are your's holding up?
I haven't been on the forum in months, just happened to open it a minute ago to see what's happening. I am super pleased with them, I have had them in a few different wheeling trips rock crawling at a few different off road parks. They have taken some very nasty hits with no issues, both have taken the full weight of the Jeep on hard hits, and not a dent or any noticeable damage. Both have saved my rockers more times than I can count. I love them. I ordered mine bare metal, and eventually got them powder coated locally before I welded them to the frame.

You really can't go wrong with these. I love them! Welding them up is a super quick job, and if you don't weld or know somebody that does, it takes way less than an hour, so it shouldn't cost much to have a shop do it.

I don't have any pics of them actually taking a hit on my phone right now, but they have gotten plenty of work outs.Click image for larger version

Name:	photo899.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	675329

Last edited by tjkamp; 10-06-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

After I got mine powder coated I added some 3M grip tape to the areas most commonly stepped on. The original tape has been on there at least a year now, and no visible signs of wear, although they are a touch muddy at the moment.

Happy Jeeping!Click image for larger version

Name:	photo381.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	675328
Old 10-11-2017, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm beat!

Well I got my rails installed I ended up drilling and tapping the frame directly for install. I'm freaking worn out after about 4 hours of wrestling them in the driveway/garage as well as drilling the frame. I think it might have been easier to just weld them on!

Quick Reply: rock rails, frame vs body bolt on