Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Rugged Ridge Nautica Winch

Old 07-08-2018, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Question Rugged Ridge Nautica Winch

So, I'm about to grab myself a winch for Ruby. The one I've got my eye on is this Rugged Ridge Nautica 9.5 Waterproof winch. It looks like a good compromise between price and quality, and I like the idea of one that'll be a little more resistant to damage from splashing through puddles and mud. I don't expect to be carrying out heavy recovery operations with a high degree of frequency, just need some insurance to keep myself from getting stranded and to help out others that might get stuck from time to time. Before I drop a couple hundred bucks on it though, I wanted to make sure nobody had anything particularly interesting to say, either against this particular idea, or in support of a better one. So: Thoughts?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, it's been ordered, along with some Shittybilt waterproof seat covers... fingers crossed for it not sucking!
Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

I'll always say that any winch is better than no winch. There are those that will stand by the "Warn or nothing" stance though. I tried to pick something that I felt was middle ground for my intended use. I have a Smittybilt X20 10k with synthetic line. I've been fairly happy with it for 3.5 years now. The only thing I'd say about that winch in particular is that a synthetic line is so much safer in general. Please use precaution when winching with steel cable, and make sure that bystanders who don't know anything are out of harms way as well.
The following users liked this post:
jedg (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I'd love a synthetic line, but holy crap are they expensive... Some day I'm sure I'll get around to that particular upgrade, but until then it's caution all the way!

I tried finding some used beater winch on Craigslist, but apparently nobody is parting with them. The only ones I DID find were either some weird knockoff brand that wasn't any cheaper than the new Rugged Ridge, or were 50's era Warns that look like they'd spent hard time bludgeoning Communists, and still cost twice as much as a new one even at half the rated pull.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I got a heck of a deal on a Smittybilt XRC 9500 with synthetic line on Black Friday last year from 4wd Parts Warehouse. I can't remember the exact price, but I want to say it was just below $300 bucks. It is the nicest winch I've had, including a Warn 8000i, and it is waterproof, as well.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Nautica Winch