Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Sand dune driving techniques?

Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with everyone else said, 10-12 psi and 4hi. Sounds like your esp was engaging, if you do only do the 5 second hold on the esp it will re engage once you reach over 40 mph and with wheel spin climbing hills it is very possible. You need to do the steering wheel manuever to permanetly shut of the esp. Need to keep the rpms up while in 4hi and i mean high, use 1st gear when climbing and you need to get those rpms up over 3k before you start climbing somethign steep. man sand seems to be a hot topic today.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Widewing

my experience is that aggressive tires, such as M/Ts, throw more sand and tend to dig in. You have to be more careful about low speed throttle application with M/Ts than with All Terrains. ATs have always been less troublesome in deep dry sand. My 285/70-17 Dynapro M/Ts are no better on dry sand than the stock 255/75-17 Goodyear SR-As. The M/Ts ARE better in wet, packed sand.

Bring a shovel... Just in case you weren't paying attention.

Bring an 8"x12"x1" jack board and a 18" bottle jack. Yes, you can jack the vehicle out of the four holes you dug, fill the holes one at a time and drive off. Surfcasters often go out alone, sometimes they screw up and get stuck. A shovel, jack board, 2x4x6 block of wood and a high lift bottle jack can get you unstuck if you're alone. I like the bottle jack because it's compact.

My regards,

Widewing
I concur with diggin in with aggressive threads. The name of the game on sand is flotation with mild treads and maintaining smooth momentum, unless you are in a sand rail with paddles.

Regarding tire pressure I think it depends on the tires, my KM2 feel sloppy at ~ 15 psi, where the Mickey Thomsons AT I used to have could drop down to 10-12 psi.

I usually carry 2-4 of those boards as ramps to gain traction just in case..
Old 11-02-2009, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go to desert about twice a week

from my experience

1- put air between 10-15psi during driving in desert, you can put 5psi but if u are a beginner, u will terminate your tires from the wheels

2- if u want to go up high hills , put 5psi

3- disable esp

4- use 4hi for driving or going up hills, put it in the 2nd gear, if u felt it is getting slower then return it to the 1st gear

5- use 4lo only if u got stuck or for towing another car, u can use 4lo in going up high hells by starting from near of the hill by 4th or 3rd gear for the manual and D for the auto then return it ti 2nd, don't take long path with 4lo

hope I've helped
Old 05-15-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default 4H or 4L

I have an 09 JKU automatic. I know most of this post was referring to the manual transmission. All of it makes sense. Unfortunately for the auto crowd, unless you have an aux trans cooler, your 07-11 will likely overheat in 4H (speaking from experience). After a bit of research I discovered we need to run in 4L with O/D off in deep sand. Trans cooler to be installed before next outing.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shj_jeep
I go to desert about twice a week

from my experience

1- put air between 10-15psi during driving in desert, you can put 5psi but if u are a beginner, u will terminate your tires from the wheels

2- if u want to go up high hills , put 5psi

3- disable esp

4- use 4hi for driving or going up hills, put it in the 2nd gear, if u felt it is getting slower then return it to the 1st gear

5- use 4lo only if u got stuck or for towing another car, u can use 4lo in going up high hells by starting from near of the hill by 4th or 3rd gear for the manual and D for the auto then return it ti 2nd, don't take long path with 4lo

hope I've helped
Hello I am in Dubai too and recently bought an 07 JK - I set off to go to Fossil rock on the desert on my own last Saturday but quickly pulled back as I felt the need to have a friend along with another car..Are you going out weekends generally? is it possible to ride along with you if you re going one of these weekends? it will be very nice to be able to meet you
On a subject of tires what tire do you recommend for desert driving- the JK is a daily driver for the wife she does about 40km round trip every day but to be honest we do not mind the hum noise from M/Ts- I am contemplating the BFG KM2 or something similar mud terrain but do you think it will not be good for desert driving? I value your experience and feedback with that

Quick Reply: Sand dune driving techniques?