Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Sand or Dunes

Old 03-13-2013, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sand or Dunes

Went to the dunes this last weekend, and struggled getting through, with my 13JKUR Auto Tran. It seemed to not be able to hold enough pull/torque to get me anywhere. I would hit about 4500 RPM and start to get moving, then I would loose power back down to 2000 or so. And it would stop. I was in 4HI with ESC off, when this was happening. Even in four low it seemed to really struggle. I am looking for some advise on how to get my Jeep through the dunes a little easier. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Air down to get a bigger foot print.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

What psi were you running in your tires? Airing down means everything in the sand.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scratchkenny
Air down to get a bigger foot print.
^^ and try to go a lil easy on the throttle too, sounds like you're pounding it. sand is kinda like snow, once you get moving keep that momentum going, don't make abrupt maneuvers, like turning hard or stopping fast. pick good places to stop like at the top so you have gravity on your side when you start moving again. also you can bring some strips of carpet to throw under the tires if you really get stuck, and a shovel can do wonders too. the more you play the better you'll get. 4-lo 4-lo 4-LO

Last edited by jk.bushwacker; 03-13-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

I was running about 30lbs with pro comp extreme MTs, going up dunes you have to pound it, or you will sink it.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RubiconRon
I was running about 30lbs with pro comp extreme MTs, going up dunes you have to pound it, or you will sink it.
Drop the pressure to like 14-18lbs and it will make a world of a difference.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

Way to much PSI for dunes. I run 15 in the front and 10 in the rear at Silver Lake in MI. I keep the fronts a little higher just because it gives me more peace of mind that I will not lose a bead, but the combo has always done me well. Also need to ease onto the gas, MTs will dig fast and you will go noplace fast.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKbender
Way to much PSI for dunes. I run 15 in the front and 10 in the rear at Silver Lake in MI. I keep the fronts a little higher just because it gives me more peace of mind that I will not lose a bead, but the combo has always done me well. Also need to ease onto the gas, MTs will dig fast and you will go noplace fast.
Good stuff, EVERYONE!
MT stands for minny tshovel the t is silent.... :-P
So if I ease up on the skinny pedal, than how the heck do I make it up a steep dune? I am coming from a 07 Durimax and a 10 Tundra 5.7 so with them, you put it through the floor and go up the steep dunes. With the JK, it starts to go, then looses power like the stability control is taking over, yet it is off. I will air down next time, and see what it does.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 PM
JK Freak

Also depends on what gears you are running. Sand is sticky and soft. It's a lot harder on your drivetrain than you would think. Having the right gears will make all the difference!! I had 31's on a tj and it wheeled great in the dunes of glamis. When I went to 33's,, I thought it would be a huge improvement. WRONG!!! The gears were all wrong for 33's, and the sand proved it!!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by big dr
Also depends on what gears you are running. Sand is sticky and soft. It's a lot harder on your drivetrain than you would think. Having the right gears will make all the difference!! I had 31's on a tj and it wheeled great in the dunes of glamis. When I went to 33's,, I thought it would be a huge improvement. WRONG!!! The gears were all wrong for 33's, and the sand proved it!!
Stock 3:73 auto with 35's. scoots well on blacktop, but does not like the sand.

Quick Reply: Sand or Dunes