Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Sand Dunes and Rev Limiter/Governor Question

Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sand Dunes and Rev Limiter/Governor Question

Last summer I had my 10JK on the Silver Lake dunes on Lake Mich. Had it in 4H and the trac control temporarily off (held the button down for 7 seconds or whatever) and noticed when bogged down in the sand I couldn't get much above 2,000-2,500 rpm's and had to back it out.

I have since completely disabled the trac control (by rubbing my head and patting my belly and cycling the ignition a few times ) and not sure it will help. I'm not tryin to show off but I tried to brake torque the wheels into spinning and same issue with full trac off.

Is there any way to turn the rev limiter/governor off for this (not for high rpm limiting)?

The shop guy at the dealer said there was a fuse that could be pulled but I didn't see any relevant.

Either way, I'm looking to turn this off so i can spin the tires a bit more to keep up momentum on the dunes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:32 AM
JK Newbie

4L? I didn't think I could get up the speen needed for the momentum in 4L.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GL08JK
4L and overdrive off if you have an auto transmission will help. I have to use 4L on test hill with my jeep. 4H and a lot of speed gets crazy running test hill with all the whoops. Most of the other hills i have no problem using 4H and OD off.
What speed where you going on the test hill in 4L?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd also like to know this...I do a lot of sand dunes but have never been in 4L, I can't imagine having enough momentum
Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

4L is going to be the best or only option when climbing hills with our V6s. The problem is, the rubicon 4:1 is probably too low. Also, if you have a rubicon, the lockers can not be engaged in 4H, unless you have already bypassed them.

The solution, air down more, then some more, just don'r turn too hard. I use to run my TJ on 33s at 4-5psi at glamis and could run around in 2H, even up Comp. 4L or 4H for Olds.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

If Silver lake is anything like Glamis then 4L and about 5psi in the tires got me up any hill climb I wanted to do. At 15psi I would spin tires then once I got to the steep part of the hill if would bog down due to lack of power then dig a hole. With the tires at 5psi I could womp over the whoops at a good speed and the tires would carry the momentum I had without spinning to much.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

We have a 08 Sahara with a 6 speed. We air down to 8 psi front and 6 psi rear, 4 lo in 3rd is perfect for the sand. We had 3.73 gears with 315/75R16 Pro Comp Extreme M/T's. We just regeared and added lockers front and rear so the first trip this year will be a learning curve with the new set up.

I say start out with 12 lbs in your tires and if you need to go down you can adjust on the dunes.

Alot of the skinny pedal works to.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
5psi?? Wowww. What rim width and tire width is that????
35x12.5x17 procomp xtreams

Quick Reply: Sand Dunes and Rev Limiter/Governor Question