Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Signs of Hydrolock?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signs of Hydrolock?

What are the signs that my engine may be hydrolocked?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Your Jeep is partially submerged.
The engine quit while driving through deep water.
The starter will not turn the engine over while in the water, and even after being pulled from the water.

What are your circumstances?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Well, I was on the trail the other day and did NOT go through ANY water. However I was having issues. After stopping a few times I would go to start back up, the engine would fire right up then a second later would shut off as if I was turning it off. BUT the key was still engaged. This happened a few times randomly. I was able to get it to stay running after I quickly threw it in gear before it shut off. It then ran normally.

THEN.....

I got home and washed it.....there is where real problems began. I washed the underside of the jeep then I was under the hood. The actual underside of the hood. I have done this numerous times in the past. I make sure as to not get water in the airbox. I go to start it up and the jeep just "clicks" once. I thought it may be the starter or battery but it wasn't constantly clicking. So I jumped it and it cranked up.

SO....took out the battery and had it tested at an auto parts store before I was going to buy a new battery. The shop said the battery was good. Went and put the same battery in the jeep and it cranked up under it's own power. However it was a bit reluctant. I did not drive it though. I cranked it several times last night and this morning without driving it again. Then I moved it out of the garage to get something out. After I did that I went to just check it again and it won't crank now. Just one "click" as it was doing before.

Now what? Did I hydrolock it from washing it? Or please tell me it is something stupid and small.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Jedi

I sure wouldn't think you locked it up just from washing it. Sounds like you got an electrical component wet and it ain't liking it. But you may have something else going on from the sounds of what happened before on the trail. But hyrdo.....???....I doubt that very much.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Default signs of hydrolock...

your sitting in the middle of a pond and jeep just goes click click
and starter won't turn because your piston rod is bent.
(yes i did)

check your filter - if it's soaked you may have gotten water in your airbox.

if it's soaked, pull all your plugs, disconnect your battery, put in nuetral and try turning your crank. if water comes out your sparkplug holes = not good!

there's a very very very hi probability you did NOT hydrolock just washing it.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Bad starter maybe? Once you have hyrolocked your engine its screwed ... it aint gonna run ... ever ... and surely won't jump start.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

check for H2O in the distributer cap. Sometimes from splashing and/or washing you can get
H2O inside. A little WD-40 and your all set....if that was the problem good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-25-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

That's what I thought. Surely I didn't hydrolock it from washing it but I guess I was thinking worse case.

I'm letting it dry out. However the troubles on the trail has me nervous. I was starting to think it was because I was shutting it off while keeping it in 4Lo. But I just about left it in 4Lo for 5 days while in Moab.....
Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Quick update.....it's not hydrolock as I was able to get it running and drove it around the neighborhood. Everything seemed fine.

I got it running after I jumped it. But it didn't start right away. I had to let it "charge" for about 5 minutes. Then it finally turned over. I know the battery is good and the starter worked. So I'm thinknig it is the alternator not recharging the battery. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

if you're scare to get water wile washing your engine get a rag in the air intake will stop a good amont of water. I did some trail last weekend and one of my friend almost hydro locked is engine but this is a story for a other post

Quick Reply: Signs of Hydrolock?