Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Signs of Hydrolock?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely not hydro locked man. Hydro lock is when you get a fairly large amount of water in the combustion chamber of the engine, usually from putting the air intake below water. As the piston comes up it is supposed to compress the air, since water doesn't compress bad things usually happen. If your lucky and engine speed is low it will just stall the engine. Some times you bend valves and or punch holes in pistons. But the engine will not run at all. I got lucky with my old Jeep, I hydro locked it, got pulled outta the mud hole, took off the air intake, and yup sure as heck it was full of water. I pulled all the plugs and turned the engine over to spit out the water, then hosed the combustion chambers with a little wd-40, cleaned the plugs and put everything back together. It took a minute but it did start and after a couple minutes of running rough it was good to go. Also make sure you check your oil, water in your oil = poor lubrication. and make sure you change all your fluids asap. Sounds like you got something wet or something came loose, maybe the ground on the starter? Hard to diagnose over the internet. Good luck man
Old 11-22-2010, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same thing happened to me.

Bad battery. Tested fine. It was a 3mo old battery... Duralast Gold. Free warranty replacment and no problems since.

Check your wiring, too. Something may be loose.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Engine is cranking but still won’t start

Drove through puddle, engine wasn’t submerged but quite a large splash, engine stalled. After removing spark plugs, air filter and had oil draining, I manually cranked the engine several times. Had maybe a small amount of water released. Replaced plugs filter and oil. Engine cranks but won’t start. Checked battery (it’s at 12.3). What am I missing?
Old 08-20-2018, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Tricia Evans
Drove through puddle, engine wasn’t submerged but quite a large splash, engine stalled. After removing spark plugs, air filter and had oil draining, I manually cranked the engine several times. Had maybe a small amount of water released. Replaced plugs filter and oil. Engine cranks but won’t start. Checked battery (it’s at 12.3). What am I missing?
Probably not a reason to not start if it's cranking, however a normal battery should measure 12.6 a 12.8 volts. 12.3 is quite low. Maybe that low because it was trying to crank but wouldn't start.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

I think I know what is wrong with your jeep. I recently had the same thing happen to me. I hit standing water during a rain storm going about 40 mph. The water was only a few inches deep but there was a big splash. My 13 Rubicon started sputtering but I was able to limp home. The next morning my jeep wouldn't start. After several days I found the problem. A fuel line was kinked. Look on the under side of the jeep from the passenger side front door. There are two preformed black plastic fuel lines coming from the top of the fuel tank. They have several 90 degree bends and then are retained by a bracket on the side of the transmission housing. Between the fuel tank and that bracket was where one line was twisted over another. As soon as I uncrossed the lines, my jeep started and has run fine since. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Signs of Hydrolock?