Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Stock on the beach

Old 08-02-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 lo will turn off ESP for you - although I usually run 4HI and turn off ESP.

8 pounds sounds a little low - I usually drop to 15-ish

I will usually start and drive in 2nd gear. Here in Delaware max speed on the beach is 15 mph so don't need to shift...
Old 08-02-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock on the Beach

as stated previously, a stock JK will do beach sand driving easily, feel completely confident and go for it. I do air down to 18psi, this gives your tyres a larger footprint, pressure = load/area. Airing down not only helps from getting bogged, it reduces the effort required of you vehicle reducing fuel consumption, wear'n'tear and wrt ''treading lightly" reduces approach track wear errosion, stops moguls/corrugations forming. Stock H/T tyres are actually better on sand than A/T or M/T as they excavate less if wheels spin. Take your recovery gear inluding shovel and a compressor. My wife insisted I get Max-trax before our first beach drive, I got them to appease her and have only used them to help out others and as a temporary boat launching ramp. I suggest parking facing downhill, easier restart. I do use 4Hi, turn ESPOFF and O/D off, even when towing my off road van on the beach I still air down to 18psi. Adjust your speed to the conditions and ride comfort.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default stock on the beach

Originally Posted by Ksolomon91
Just wondering, how would a completely stock jeep do on the beach? Not looking to do anything crazy. Just looking for a nice peaceful day on the sand with the the girlfriend. What do you guys think?
Been yet? How did you go? What did you learn?

Airing down helps heaps, I recall getting a 2wd dodge Ram unbogged one morning that was blocking the only track on/off the beach I was camping on by letting his tyres right down to 8psi,gave him instruction to ease back & forward then proceed with no wheel spin and turn wide keeping on existing wheel rut that was compacted, stay out of the loose sand.
Cheers.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

I know this is an old post, but for the sake of those doing a search, here goes. I learned most of this less than a month after my used purchase and 15-20 minutes after hitting the beach. I have an 09 JKU automatic, so some of this wont apply to manuals. After much research it seems the general consensus is to air down to 15-20 psi as a starting point. I would say the posts above agree with that. Use 4L. '07-'11 auto's will overheat in 4H unless travelling 25-30 mph. Related to that, get an auxillary transmission cooler. The stock cooler is mounted to the a/c condenser and is tucked behind a cross-member and the front bumper. It is undersized and gets almost zero airflow. You can also turn your a/c on to force the cooling fan to come on. I believe 4L automatically turns ESP off, so that's covered. Also, turn O/D off. More than a little late to help the original question, but hopefully useful info to others. You can find more related info by searching this and other forums for "hot oil".

Take off slowly, avoid wheel spin, coast to a stop pointing downhill if possible, gradual turns, drive in established packed ruts when possible................
Old 06-11-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by slangheld
I know this is an old post, but for the sake of those doing a search, here goes. I learned most of this less than a month after my used purchase and 15-20 minutes after hitting the beach. I have an 09 JKU automatic, so some of this wont apply to manuals. After much research it seems the general consensus is to air down to 15-20 psi as a starting point. I would say the posts above agree with that. Use 4L. '07-'11 auto's will overheat in 4H unless travelling 25-30 mph. Related to that, get an auxillary transmission cooler. The stock cooler is mounted to the a/c condenser and is tucked behind a cross-member and the front bumper. It is undersized and gets almost zero airflow. You can also turn your a/c on to force the cooling fan to come on. I believe 4L automatically turns ESP off, so that's covered. Also, turn O/D off. More than a little late to help the original question, but hopefully useful info to others. You can find more related info by searching this and other forums for "hot oil".

Take off slowly, avoid wheel spin, coast to a stop pointing downhill if possible, gradual turns, drive in established packed ruts when possible................
LOL, OK we get it You've posted the same thing on 4 other threads.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I know. Sorry. Really trying to prevent others from having similar issues. Didn't really think about these posts all moving to the front again. Maybe a newbie like me will see these before they tear something up or burn to the ground. Point taken. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by slangheld
Yeah, I know. Sorry. Really trying to prevent others from having similar issues. Didn't really think about these posts all moving to the front again. Maybe a newbie like me will see these before they tear something up or burn to the ground. Point taken. Thanks.
No worries man, enjoy your jeep.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:03 PM
JK Newbie

Don't stop
Old 07-28-2014, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

When I go to the sand bar I run my normal 28 pounds and in 4hi. My esp is always off so don't have that problem. If driving in the water you want your tires to spin slower so I run in 4lo out in the river

Quick Reply: Stock on the beach