Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

stock jk off road limits

Old 10-27-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock jk off road limits

Hey guys I'm new to the site and my jeep and really everything! I have a stock jk 4 door and was wondering how it would hold up for some mild off roading like some fields on my friends property nothing too much just enough to bump around have fun and get it dirty!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 02:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

It should hold up fine. But you're not driving a Baja racer. It can break if you go racing around that field and hit something super bumpy particularly hard. And a puddle can hydrolock a motor in a few seconds of carelessness. A spinning tire from too much skinny pedal can find traction on a rock and quickly break an axle, so be careful. And it can get stuck. Be prepared with recovery points (stock hooks are fine, if equipped), a tow rope, and a buddy to tow you. Your stock Jeep will amaze you given the right driving.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 10-27-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Yeah. That thing will pull you through quite some terrain. Even things you would think it would never in a million years get through. I know mine amazed all of us when it was completely stock. It can get stuck like mentioned above so do be prepared. My advice is easy on the throttle. If you're having trouble on some obstacles and a tire is spinning... stay steady on the gas for at least 5 - 10 seconds or more so the brake locking diffs kick in and get the tire with traction pulling. You'll hear and feel it when it kicks in. Be smart and safe and you should be golden.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

As far as suspension is concerned I am completely stock but i have done just about everything that some of my friends have done with there 35s and 37s. I find that the stock suspension is perfect for what i do with my jeep which is light trails and mud. I plan to stay stock until funds allow for a 2.5" . My stock jeep has yet to let me down.

Happy Jeeping
Old 11-04-2014, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

You'll be amazed at what you can do. Look on YouTube for stock JKU videos. There are tons and its impressive what you see some people do. Hook up with some local club or something and learn from some guys with experience. Let them know your new and take your time to learn... There's some good advice above and Most of all have fun...
Old 11-05-2014, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good advice above. The biggest key I have learned is to learn to pick good line, easy on the pedal for the most part and get a feel of your limits through experience. Mine was stock the first 9 months I owned it and my biggest issue encountered was the load capacity it could handle on a multi-day overland style trip. We wheeled the Maze area of Canyonlands National park with about 1,000lbs payload (10 gallons of extra fuel, 14 gallons of water, 3 people with gear, etc) and it was so low on the springs we were on the bump stops most of the 5 miles of Tea Pot canyon, needed the lockers (its a JKUR) to get over some ledges due to low clearance and took 4 hours to do 5 miles. Painfull experience with teeth practically rattled out. Went back 2 years later with 4"+ of lift on 37's and did the 5 miles in 45mins with no issues. Takeaway for me is 2010 stock springs were pretty weak for a loaded JKU on moderately rough terrain.

Quick Reply: stock jk off road limits