JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Off-Road 101 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/)
-   -   straps on my bumper? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/straps-my-bumper-103791/)

stevedolce 10-02-2009 02:37 PM

straps on my bumper?

in leu of having a winch, is it OK practice to take my snatch strap and leave it attacthed to my d-ring on my front bumper and leave it wrapped around the bumper while i drive/wheel?

Eugene 10-02-2009 08:56 PM

Yes it is common practice to leave your tow strap hooked up and ready to go. One of the first things I do while I am airing down is to get my strap out and hooked up.
One thing to think about. I always say that you don't want to wheel in front of someone who has his tow strap hooked to the front. It is like saying "Hey I get stuck alot so I thought I should be ready!" Call it superstition but I always hook mine on the back.:thumbsup:

GoodysGotaCuda 10-02-2009 09:03 PM

Best not to leave it for daily driving of course. but for wheelin' its fine.

hvilla 10-03-2009 08:42 PM

Great tips guys!

Red 10-06-2009 02:43 AM

I leave mine on on the trail and then on until I get the truck washed. I don't like to throw a muddy strap in the back of the truck. After it is clean and dry, it goes back into the truck. No sense in keeping it out in the sun and rain where it gets weathered and needs to be replaced sooner.

IMFletch 10-07-2009 04:02 PM

Leaving the strap connected is convenient. However... Keep in mind UV rays break down and reduce the strength of synthetic lines. Extended exposure to UVs will cause your strap or line to become brittle and much more likely to fail when you need it most. I picked this up during SAR days.

The_Captain 10-14-2009 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eugene (Post 1365835)
I always say that you don't want to wheel in front of someone who has his tow strap hooked to the front. It is like saying "Hey I get stuck alot so I thought I should be ready!"

OOOOH! found out..... I prefer the title "brave" as opposed to "Clumsy" or "stoopid" or "what the hell was that guy thinking with those tire!!!"

robin 10-27-2009 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Red (Post 1370200)
I leave mine on on the trail and then on until I get the truck washed. I don't like to throw a muddy strap in the back of the truck. After it is clean and dry, it goes back into the truck. No sense in keeping it out in the sun and rain where it gets weathered and needs to be replaced sooner.

you have a truck?:thinking:

robin 10-27-2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by The_Captain (Post 1384377)
OOOOH! found out..... I prefer the title "brave" as opposed to "Clumsy" or "stoopid" or "what the hell was that guy thinking with those tire!!!"

:rotflmao2::rotflmao2:

w squared 10-29-2009 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by stevedolce (Post 1365353)
in leu of having a winch, is it OK practice to take my snatch strap and leave it attacthed to my d-ring on my front bumper and leave it wrapped around the bumper while i drive/wheel?

If I'm expecting an "interesting" run, I normally hook up a 30 foot tow strap to my rear recovery point and then loop it around my spare a few times. That way I don't need to be able to open the rear gate to get at my tow strap.

I've got a winch up front, so I don't pre-rig a strap there.

Snatch straps are good...but when things get really sticky, winches are where it's at.