JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Off-Road 101 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/)
-   -   Stupid question... is it safe to hook a shackle to a shackle? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/stupid-question-safe-hook-shackle-shackle-167064/)

Biginboca 03-04-2011 03:27 PM

Stupid question... is it safe to hook a shackle to a shackle?

This might sound silly, but I was wondering if there is a reason not to hook shackles to each other during recovery. Like if I permanently attach a shackle to my bumper (for antitheft reasons, I have a buddy who had some stolen off his rig) can I use a second shackle to attach a strap to the original shackle during a recovery operation?

Or what if you want to attach a few lines to a single point, can you attach 2 lines each with their own shackles safely to a third shackle on the vehicle you are pulling out?

Hey, I have a lot of shackle questions... and a lot of shackles too!!!

BKGM Jeepers 03-04-2011 08:56 PM

Connecting shackles is not the preferred method but you can do it. Rarely do recoveries reach the max load on any of your Connecting components.

Captain Wild Thing 03-04-2011 09:09 PM

If you have Crosby shackles they are rated 100% at a 45 degree angle. Do not trust a china made shackle seen them fail at half of their rating. I'm a certified crane operator.

BKGM Jeepers 03-04-2011 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by deckhand100 (Post 2140430)
If you have Crosby shackles they are rated 100% at a 45 degree angle. Do not trust a china made shackle seen them fail at half of their rating. I'm a certified crane operator.

Where do you pick up crosby's?

JKRubi10 03-08-2011 07:06 PM

Crosby Shackles??

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 2140497)
Where do you pick up crosby's?

I'd be interested in knowing where you can find Crosby shackles as well.... I worry about the China made stuff :sad2:

tslewisz 03-08-2011 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 2140407)
Connecting shackles is not the preferred method but you can do it. Rarely do recoveries reach the max load on any of your Connecting components.

Both of those statements are true. I would still avoid shackle-to-shackle connections just because the load becomes so concentrated over such a small area.

There is another way. I pretty much got laughed at for proposing this before on this forum, but, I read it in a respected offroad driving book and have used it, so, here we go... Just take your tow strap loop, pass it though your D-ring on your Jeep, then back up through the remainder of the loop of your strap. Then take a 1.25" diameter, 8" (or so, it doesn't really matter) length of oak dowel and put it through the end of the loop so it won't pull through itself. So, if something breaks (it sure as hell won't be that oak) there is FAR less mass to go flying around hurting something.

My $.02.

jlarso 03-09-2011 03:33 AM

Great idea, I like it.

jesse0376 03-11-2011 07:11 AM

Why not just take the shackle on and off when you use them

mwilterink 03-12-2011 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by jesse0376
Why not just take the shackle on and off when you use them

^^this..take off put strap through and reattach. better to be safe then fast..

JK-UTE 03-14-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by tslewisz (Post 2149320)
Both of those statements are true. I would still avoid shackle-to-shackle connections just because the load becomes so concentrated over such a small area.

There is another way. I pretty much got laughed at for proposing this before on this forum, but, I read it in a respected offroad driving book and have used it, so, here we go... Just take your tow strap loop, pass it though your D-ring on your Jeep, then back up through the remainder of the loop of your strap. Then take a 1.25" diameter, 8" (or so, it doesn't really matter) length of oak dowel and put it through the end of the loop so it won't pull through itself. So, if something breaks (it sure as hell won't be that oak) there is FAR less mass to go flying around hurting something.

My $.02.

I too have heard of this, never tried it but I've heard it works...