Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Sway bar disconnect question

Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar disconnect question

I have a 2008 2 door Rubicon with electronic sway bar disconnect. My lift is a 4.5" Rubicon Express. It also has mechanical sway bar disconnects. My question is do I #1) use the mechanical right and left along with the electric. #2 Use just the electric and leave the mechanical ones hooked up? Or Vise a versa use the mechanical and let the electric hooked up. #3 The passangers side is a little tough to swing out of the way so do I have to disconnect both sides or is one side sufficient.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-05-2010, 11:32 AM
JK Freak

Best option is to mechanically disconnect BOTH sides. Do not just do one side. I have Rubi w/e-disco and I rarely use it, taking off the sway bar connects and securing the sway bar with rope/bungee is the way to go when you need flex.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, That will help.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by runit3
Best option is to mechanically disconnect BOTH sides. Do not just do one side. I have Rubi w/e-disco and I rarely use it, taking off the sway bar connects and securing the sway bar with rope/bungee is the way to go when you need flex.
How much does the e-disco limit flex?
I have never mechanically disconnected and am wondering whether I'm missing something.

On the other hand I often switch into 4wd just so that i can smooth out the ride by hitting that magic diconnect button.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My E-disco provides full flex with my 3" long arm lift. I know that their are those that do mechanically disconnect their sway bars, but I don't have that need as of yet. I do run 12" links.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:20 PM
JK Junkie

Make sure that your sway bar links are long enough for your lift, if not you will bend them if you over flex. This happened to me. Your sway bar arm should be about 15 degrees higher than level toward the rear.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default yikes!

Originally Posted by JeeperDude
I have never mechanically disconnected and am wondering whether I'm missing something.

On the other hand I often switch into 4wd just so that i can smooth out the ride by hitting that magic diconnect button.
I hope you're not doing that on the road

That would be pretty hard on the drivetrain just to smooth out the ride!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

yellow08jk Hows Chanute I spent most of my life there. We move out of there about 2 years ago to Colorado. Good to see you on here.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yellow08jk
I hope you're not doing that on the road

That would be pretty hard on the drivetrain just to smooth out the ride!
Dirt roads with potholes, and at less than 14 mph. But the topic brings me to a soapbox moment - here goes.

I honestly believe that Jeep went to an e-disco so that they could improve the safety of their vehicles - it AUTOMATICALLY reconnects when the speed gets too high (above 14 mph), or when shifted into 2wd. Everyone that I know has at some time been in a hurry, or flat-out forgot to re-connect their sway bar (those with non-Rubicon JK's). Of course that first corner comes as quite a suprise! So I believe Jeep said to themselves "Let's design a system that allows our users to disconnect ('cause they're doing it anyway and with good reason) but without the safety concerns from not re-connecting. A system that has built in safety features. An electronically controlled system." And it was done.

I hope I've not given Jeep too much credit though. I do like mine and give Jeep high marks for their efforts. Plus it is so easy to hit that button and instantly smooth out the ride.
Next would be a way to deflate or inflate those tires at the flip of a switch ...
Old 04-09-2010, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeeperDude
Depending on your lift set-up and how long your bump stops are they limit my set-up by around 4" vertically. They limit the horizontal flex by about 3". Both of those #'s are at cranked full flex. The main reason I disconnect them is to prevent them from warping/breaking. Although I doubt my JKS quicker's will break, my old Tuff Country one's were on their way to bending out.

Additionally for Rubicon people if you don't disconnect the mechanical sway bar connects they will transfer the stress load received to the electronic unit, which in turn may break. I'm pretty confident that I busted up my actual sway bar because I didn't manually disconnect. My driver side connect had to be adjusted a full inch higher than my passenger because of a bend.

I only use the e-disco for getting to the trail head. As soon as I see a possibility for some real flexin I manually disconnect.

Quick Reply: Sway bar disconnect question