Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Sway bar disconnect question

Old 04-09-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Careful with the RE quick disco's, they rub 37in tire sidewalls . He either has 4.75 or 4.5 bs on his rims, not sure. Dont know about other sizes , but on a mild off-road trip, a friend of mine was scrapping the sidewall pretty good.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Moochie, I agree, also bent mine after getting the ORE coilovers, had them lengthened a bit
and increased the angle up a bit. Also, there are times when I hit the reconnect button so I do
not get as much flex when in an off camber situation.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Careful with the RE quick disco's, they rub 37in tire sidewalls . He either has 4.75 or 4.5 bs on his rims, not sure. Dont know about other sizes , but on a mild off-road trip, a friend of mine was scrapping the sidewall pretty good.
My extended swaybar link hits the the tire side wall when the passenger side is drooped out and I am at full left lock. In fact when it hits the sidewall it forces the swaybar forward over center and causes it to bend the link over the draglink. 37s, 4.5" backspace 5" of lift. Swaybar is up 10° when on the level.

Mike

Last edited by Deepwater; 06-11-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

So help me out here... Until I read this thread, I was under the impression that when the e-disco does it's thing, it effectively "splits" the sway bar into two sections, meaning that the ends are completely independant of one another? If that is the case, the only limiting factor in vertical flex based on the sway bar itself would be potential binding of the sway bar links, in which a switch to something like the Currie links (with spherical rod ends) should be the cure? If you upgrade links, why not go with a more flexible connection design rather than a "standard" design that still requires disconnecting?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by runit3
Best option is to mechanically disconnect BOTH sides. Do not just do one side. I have Rubi w/e-disco and I rarely use it, taking off the sway bar connects and securing the sway bar with rope/bungee is the way to go when you need flex.
You get significantly better flex - especially with a long arm kit with the arms pulled rather than using the mechanical set up. I also run both the e-disconnect and the RE pins.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
EVO MFG Representative

Check out the EVO NoLimits Manual Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect. As you can see from the video, there is NoLimit to articulation when disconnected, and therefore you dont need to take your swaybar links off.

A short video demonstration of how it works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6e9TH_QgwU&feature=player_embedded

The Factory Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect is a great feature but is prone to breaking, shorting out and all around being annoying. The EVO NoLimits Manual Disconnect now allows you to defeat the overly troublesome computer system that operates this very cool feature that Rubicon Model JK’s come with. The manually operated EVO NoLimits Swaybar Disconnect now allows you, with a few turns of the dial, to disconnect your Rubicon Swaybar at anytime, in any gear, and with any amount of articulation. No need to bounce the vehicle, no pins to pull or fighting to reinstall, no swaybar links to remove, no punctured tires from removed swaybar links, just unrestricted articulation. Back to the highway… Simply turn the dial a few turns in the opposite direction on level or uneven ground and your swaybar will fully reconnect by itself for highway use.

It is recommended to use an AEV ProCal Module or similar computer programmer to turn off the swaybar light function on your dashboard.

When disconnected never exceed 20mph, disconnect for off road use only.

Correct length swaybar endlinks are still required, but do not need to be removed to allow for full nolimit articulation.

Last edited by Andrew@EVOMFG; 06-14-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tobyw
when the e-disco does it's thing, it effectively "splits" the sway bar into two sections, meaning that the ends are completely independant of one another?
Originally Posted by Andrew@EVOMFG
there is NoLimit to articulation when disconnected, and therefore you dont need to take your swaybar links off.
So can anyone answer my question here? Does the factory e-disco completely seperate the sway bar, or is it somehow rotation limited? The video posted above clearly shows full rotation when disconnected while using the EVO setup, but does the factory e-disco accomplish the same "seperation"?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tobyw
Does the factory e-disco completely seperate the sway bar
Yes it does.

Quick Reply: Sway bar disconnect question