Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Is there a difference between a tow strap and a winch extension strap?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a difference between a tow strap and a winch extension strap?

Just like the title says. I want to know if I can just buy a none elastic tow strap as a winch extension in stead of a "winch extension strap". Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2014, 03:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A tow strap is like a snatch strap but without the elasticity

A winch extension is basically a loose piece of winch rope that you extend the usable length of your winch. It can be used with a snatch block whereas the tow strap cannot.

Thats my two cents worth.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use any of them in a pinch.... we use snatch straps, or whatever we have on hand if we need extra length.

I carry two snatch blocks, but in all my years of wheeling, have never used one? I do recommend to carry one, just in case.

OH9JK description sounds good to me.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Many good tow straps are like a heavy duty rubber band to help get you unstuck with a good tug.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the make and material. Generally speaking, in recovery gear, nylon stretches and polyester doesn't. So find out what they are made of.
Stretch is good for snatch straps, but very bad for winching. Winch extension lines should not stretch.
People mix and match these all the time, but that is most unwise.

A "tow strap" may, or may not, be a stretchy one, but either way, it's probably not rated for the kinds of forces that winching puts on things. In a pinch, you could use a winch extension to tow a vehicle, but I wouldn't want to use a tow strap in a winch rigging.

Quick Reply: Is there a difference between a tow strap and a winch extension strap?