Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Tire pressure on sand

Old 07-19-2017, 04:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Also, Alltrails.com is a half decent site to find both offroad and hiking trails. Traildamage used to be a great free source to find trail topo maps and such in the Colorado area, but looks like they now have a $12 membership. If you spend much time in the area, their info is well worth $12.

Take a minute and fill out your profile info as it's helpful to other memebers. I don't see where you're typically from.

Oh, and bushducks.com is a great website for colorado passes as well -

http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm
Old 07-21-2017, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in the thread for the tips. I just got the portable slime air compressor that plugs into the 12v charger and feel good about what tire pressure to use and how to drive in the sand. Much appreciated!!🍻heading out today
Old 08-09-2017, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Also, I believe the NP side has a free air compressor according to their website. You know how those things go though. I wouldn't rely that it will be in working order when you get there.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

8-15 pci depend on tyre type and size
Old 08-15-2017, 10:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Just following up......how was the trip? What did you think of the park? Were you able to run the pass?
Old 08-15-2017, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Just following up......how was the trip? What did you think of the park? Were you able to run the pass?
The trip was amazing! Luckily the pass opened back up that same day we left. We camped about 6 miles in and had to travel back and forth a lot to bring our friends in and out so I ended up doing those first 6 miles about 10 times. Luckily I just used the air at the front. I felt I got a pretty good enough ride doing that section so many times. Riding on the sand was awesome. I can see how it makes more sense to come in from the north east end all the way to the main entrance. The park was awesome as well, sandboarding was a lot of fun. I'll definitely do it again
Old 08-16-2017, 06:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Cool. Guess they had an air compressor after all then. Did you get up to Zapata Falls as well? The dunes are pretty cool to see. One face full of sand was enough attempt at sledding for myself...LOL. Wish the pass had been opened when I was there.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default same question different location ??

Going to Outerbanks N.C is there a certain pressure for tires
Thanks
Old 08-24-2017, 07:11 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckoman
Going to Outerbanks N.C is there a certain pressure for tires
Thanks
There's a bunch of variables such as vehicle weight, rim width, sidewall height, how flexible the tire is (which varies with temperature), etc. There are also several rules-of-thumb like testing for the tire pressure that gives 75% of the sidewall height that particular tire has with full pressure.

Somewhere in the 10-15 psi range seems pretty common. Too low and the tire may burp the bead on a hard-fast turn, too high and it's harder to climb hills and more likely to get stuck. The pressure varies with temperature too, so tire pressure is even going to change by itself throughout the day. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a certain pressure is not that critical unless there's some competition happening -- Bring an air compressor and have fun. And if the vehicle gets stuck, first things I'd consider is lowering air pressure and kicking the sand out from the front of the tires.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure on sand