Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Tire Repair - Techniques/Tools

Old 06-24-2008, 01:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Repair - Techniques/Tools

I've never had to repair a tire myself so any pros out there please add some comments on techniques or favorite tools.

Thought I'd add some pictures of tools I found on the web to break beads on the trail.

----A more classic & expensive tool: Tyrepliers $200-300 range
It uses human powered leverage (mechanical advantage) to pop the bead. Requires leverage bars to finish the job. Used and approved by the Australian Army.

-----Some South African High-Lift Modifying: BeadBreaker $60-70 range
It uses the weight of the vehicle to pop the bead with a tapered and curved High-Lift attachment. Requires leverage bars to finish the job. Won "Runner Up" at the Sema show (2007 I think) --> Right behind the Warn Powerplant Winch!

Lots of repair kits out there, any favs, other tools we newbies should be packin' related to tires???
Old 06-24-2008, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for an easy bead breaker you can just run over the tire with an other vehicles tire. just watch out for those thin side wall tiers as that do not debead easily like this without additional help from a pry bar or something similar.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:07 AM
JK Junkie

I keep this in the back of my Jeep.....works great and its easy.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

there is a way i saw in the cherokee demolition video posted on the forum where the guy lights the tire on fire and it pops back in? how does he do that? is it a technique?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

you can reset the bead by spraying ether fluid into the tire and take a lighter and light it up and pop the bead back on then full up with the psi you want
Old 06-25-2008, 01:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard some people swear by the lighter fluid method, but I've heard about some pretty terrible accidents from it too. I've never actually SEEN someone do it though. As much as I like fire ( I R welder ) I think I'd shy away from that. It's one of the reasons I bought a CO2 tank, it has enough pressure to pop a bead back in place. You remove the valve core and press the quick connect end of a hose directly onto the valve opening and POOF, it's on. I've actually watched someone do this and it worked quite well.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

I have done the lighter trick before. it goes fast and pretty much puts itself out. The accidents happen when people use a crap load of whatever to cover the rim and tire.

I use lighter fluid. spray a very thin line around the tire, and light. the bead will seat. If it does not work, then something is blocking the bead from moving.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done it as well and works great with the more floaty/ larger type tires or ones that the tire is a bit small than the rim. Just have to be VERY carefull on how much you use and the optimium is spray on the inside of the tire for a second or 2 at the most then light with some distance between you and the tire as it is a minor EXPLOSION! Too much and the tire it self can just EXPLODE!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 AM
JK Freak

damn thats scary but also looks like it would save alot of time and hard work i would really like to try it. I hope i will.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a link to you tube of Redneck Tire Repair showing the flame resetting of the bead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0GNLvPmAg&NR=1 in the comments someone said it works better with the tire standing up--cool way of using spray can as flame thrower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzbgyRrQybQ&NR=1

still, scary looking for me, so here's another method

here's another link of using a ratchet strap and regular air compressor to reset the bead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiHGE...elated&search=

Quick Reply: Tire Repair - Techniques/Tools