Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Tire Repair - Techniques/Tools

Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baltchief's repair kit is the best for small repairs. My family owns a service station and that is what we have used for almost 30 years.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jfreeddo
here's a link to you tube of Redneck Tire Repair showing the flame resetting of the bead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0GNLvPmAg&NR=1 in the comments someone said it works better with the tire standing up--cool way of using spray can as flame thrower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzbgyRrQybQ&NR=1

still, scary looking for me, so here's another method

here's another link of using a ratchet strap and regular air compressor to reset the bead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiHGE...elated&search=
Thanks gona watch them now.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get one of these, they are the best plugs you can get, very small and much easier to use that the rope or push and pull type plugs.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rwamf
Get one of these, they are the best plugs you can get, very small and much easier to use that the rope or push and pull type plugs.

Insert plug from inside or outside?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:24 PM
JK Freak

I used tomount tires the "Redneck" way when i was a teenager, and it is kinda fun. I have heard the horror tories as well, but someone must use an entire can of ether (I used starter fluid) to make it explode in a bad way. I used to use what I thought was a lot and the worst tht happened was the tire would bounce about foot off the ground.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that bead breaker on the hi-lift is interesting
but
you take the tire off
place it under vehicle
put attachment on high lift and re jack up vehicle with the attachment on the bead of the tire
granted a bead should bread before 3,000lbs is lift up but what happens when the bead decides to let go and the base of the high lift crashes on to the wheel
it will break or bend the wheel then what.

i have used the toe of the base on the bead that way if the bead does release then the jack doesn't crash on to the wheel.

just a thought
Old 07-01-2008, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WRAITHYJEEP
that bead breaker on the hi-lift is interesting
but
you take the tire off
place it under vehicle
put attachment on high lift and re jack up vehicle with the attachment on the bead of the tire
granted a bead should bread before 3,000lbs is lift up but what happens when the bead decides to let go and the base of the high lift crashes on to the wheel
it will break or bend the wheel then what.

i have used the toe of the base on the bead that way if the bead does release then the jack doesn't crash on to the wheel.

just a thought

From the videos I saw it seems to slide into the bead pretty slow and steady. It shouldn't pop in through the bead if the tire's already deflated.

I think you'd just have to use it like any other high-lift'ing. Make sure it's straight up and down.

Quick Reply: Tire Repair - Techniques/Tools