JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Off-Road 101 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/)
-   -   use of co2 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/use-co2-48038/)

medbender 07-16-2008 12:37 PM

use of co2

has enyone checked the differance of tire pressures after tire heats up when using co2
went to the local air gas store to price a tank and the gentleman there talked me out of using co2 due to it being an unstable gas that can increse tire pressure to dagerous levels when heated

Big Clint 07-16-2008 12:50 PM

Great question. Air expands/contracts within a few pounds of pressure on a 30~35psi normal size car tire. I'd expect the same few pounds of pressure range on a 35" tire, although there is more 'capacity' in the tire, and normal driving is up around 40~50 psi. There might be a little more range because of the increased psi? :thinking:

So the question is...for the range of heat generated in typical driving and weather conditions...does CO2 expand/contract more or less than regular everyday air?

:munching:

possumface 07-16-2008 12:55 PM

co2 pressure will go up when its hot the guy you talked to is correct i wouldn't use co2, now nitrogen yes or just plain air works

sandman 07-16-2008 12:58 PM

For what it's worth I air down to @ 15 psi and after the run I take it back to @ 37 with C02. The next day the pressure will drop @ 5 pounds. I have not had a problem with C02 expanding to a dangerous point that I know about. If you had nitrogen and were to air aown I can see the $$$ flowing away..
Best of luck.

medbender 07-16-2008 12:59 PM

the only problem with nitrogen is you cant take a signifigant volume on the trail. you'd need a huge cylinder.

medbender 07-16-2008 01:27 PM

on that note, do you replace the co2 with atmospheric air for daily driving or is it safe to air up and drive 1,000 miles on hiways

skeptic 07-16-2008 01:40 PM

Pressure x temp = new pressure x new temp. Do the math and figure out how much temp change you'd need to blow your tires up.

medbender 07-16-2008 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic (Post 598164)
Pressure x temp = new pressure x new temp. Do the math and figure out how much temp change you'd need to blow your tires up.

:thinking:

medbender 07-16-2008 01:52 PM

thats what im gonna do. i dont care to run nitrogen; im more so weighing co2 vs air compressor. im sure ifit were that big of a difference, it would be well known

medbender 07-16-2008 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by HITMONEY (Post 598200)
Here is what will sell you...

Go wheeling with me.. after a day of fun and its air up time...

I get my hose connect to Co2... you crank up your on board compressor.

You get done filling up tire one.

I am reeling up my hose to put it away because I am done all four and I am now watching you still bent down on your knees going for tire number 2.

And hey...while your down there...... :brows:

your a sick man ...on man:donttell:
thanks for the tip. no pun intended