Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

a virgin no longer ..............got my new baby stuuuuuuuuck!

Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazinDayz
Haha thats awesome! Wish I had someone close to pull me out the first time I got stuck.

Psst... 4low is no good for mud. You need to fling the mud outa the tread.
Huh??? For us (not sure about op) who own a 6spd, 4Lo is your friend in mud/water... No need for the clutch to start it back up, which equals no water/mud in the clutch... Your tires rotate just fine in 4Lo. No mater if your in 2, 4H or 4Lo, your speedometer doesn't change. The higher (quicker) rpm is actually better to get the wheels spinning faster and easier to maintain IMO.... 95% of my wheeling is done in 4Lo....
Old 06-26-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

As for op, I think it's awesome that you had the nuggets to take it down there...... As for a winch, def invest. Although, after looking at the pics I'm not sure it would done any good. I didn't see any winch points in which you could have hooked up to. I wish I had random trails like that around me
Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Super Freak

i would have needed about 100 foot of cable and a reciever mounted winch to pull myself back out . after looking on youtube i think im gonna spring for a 60 inch hi lift jack and some synthetic cable (rope) and i know i could have gotten myself out . i think if i would have aired down to bout 15psi before trying i may have had better luck i dont know . the nittos clogged up and were like slicks a more aggressive tire would have helped definitly .i talked with a friend of my sons who says he took his cj7 down there last year and made it all the way but he had 37 inch tires and a big engine lol. im in south carolina by the way anyone near aiken or graniteville wanna wheel shoot me a message !
Old 06-26-2011, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carolinajk
i would have needed about 100 foot of cable and a reciever mounted winch to pull myself back out .
I plan on building a receiver hitch type bumper on the front just for this reason. I will be able to take it off the front and put it on the back when needed. Plus I won't have to carry the winch (and extra weight) all the time when not needed....as in back and forth to work all week.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

You learned a VERY valuable lesson.. not to go into the big nasty stuff, or to listen to your daughter.. But the lesson we all learn is to not trust a stick.... A stick doesn't do anything for you or any driver. All it does is show how you put your faith in a twig and ignored the fact that your jeep is over 3500lbs stock... There's no way you will find anything in nature that will give you a good idea as to how well your jeep will achieve the obstacle besides driving into it and hoping the gods are on your side.

Glad you had fun and finally put that jeep to use.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JkHauler
You learned a VERY valuable lesson.. not to go into the big nasty stuff, or to listen to your daughter.. But the lesson we all learn is to not trust a stick.... A stick doesn't do anything for you or any driver. All it does is show how you put your faith in a twig and ignored the fact that your jeep is over 3500lbs stock... There's no way you will find anything in nature that will give you a good idea as to how well your jeep will achieve the obstacle besides driving into it and hoping the gods are on your side.

Glad you had fun and finally put that jeep to use.
yes i should have known not to listen to my daughter ....shes so much like her mom lol always gettin me in trouble . as for the big nasty i think my biggest mistake was going alone , im not totally new to off road action its just been awhile ,i have gotten in some real pickles before in the days before cell phones and many many miles from home , i just always figure ill be ok , at best its a long walk and a quiet time alone ,at worst ....well ,i really need to reflect on that a lil more . but i know the last month i have enjoyed riding more than i ever remember....
Old 06-26-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

What a great story and pics! But if I was you I would bring that guy in the dozer a case of beer!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
What a great story and pics! But if I was you I would bring that guy in the dozer a case of beer!
i begged him to take pay and did offer to bring him a case of whatever he wanted , but he said my money or gift was no good , he seemed glad to help and even said he had been in jams before where someone helped him . just and awesome guy . i plan to pay it forward
Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
Huh??? For us (not sure about op) who own a 6spd, 4Lo is your friend in mud/water... No need for the clutch to start it back up, which equals no water/mud in the clutch... Your tires rotate just fine in 4Lo. No mater if your in 2, 4H or 4Lo, your speedometer doesn't change. The higher (quicker) rpm is actually better to get the wheels spinning faster and easier to maintain IMO.... 95% of my wheeling is done in 4Lo....
Agreed as soon as I am off road 4lo is where it stays.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noxian
Agreed as soon as I am off road 4lo is where it stays.
IMHO

If you know your going to sink in mud or snow. 4Lo in 3rd gear or 2nd gear works good. you have to get some speed to fling the mud/snow out of the tread. Dont let up or shift untill you are stuck good or clear of the situation.

Quick Reply: a virgin no longer ..............got my new baby stuuuuuuuuck!