JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Off-Road 101 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/)
-   -   wait for a Rubi...? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/wait-rubi-159093/)

DTH6 01-13-2011 01:09 PM

wait for a Rubi...?

Hey all! i will be purchasing a jeep in the up coming months and was wondering if i should wait and save more money and buy a Rubi....or just hop to it and get a wrangler when i can afford it...input would be helpful for i am a newbie!

JK.nick 01-13-2011 01:58 PM

Welcome! And what type of wheeling will you be doing? Rock crawling, mudding, or just some mild trails? You'll see a rubicons true potential on the rocks, not so much on mud. It does help to have 4:10 gears, lockers, E-sway bars, etc..

It's all preference. I got a 2010 sport, at a deal i could not refuse. 16k!

Good luck :thumbsup:

EzK 01-13-2011 02:39 PM

Agree with the above post.. what are your intents with this Jeep? You could get a lift and 35s on an X for less than a Rubicon.. which looks pretty awesome.

Anyone think it may be safe to say that deals will be easier to get on 2011s once the 2012s come to dealers with the Pentastar?

DTH6 01-13-2011 02:43 PM

...will their abilities be the same on the trail? And i will want to eventually be doing difficult ratedtrails...not to much mud...but wld want the jeep to be fine in the snow...wld a lift and tires fo that for me?... Do the tuffer axles make the big difference?...

Bacon 01-13-2011 03:35 PM

from the questions you're asking, I would say you'll be amazed every time you get in your X, Sport, or Sahara and take it for a drive in teh woods. at this point, a Rubi will be completely lost on you, and therefore a waste of money. buy yourself a Jeep you like that you can afford. don't bother with a Rubi. the money you save you can use to pay insurance, gas, and mods. plus, you'll learn how to drive better off-road if you have a slightly less capable Jeep.

Spytec128 01-13-2011 04:03 PM

As it has been said.... it all depends on what you plan on doing with your Jeep. Do you plan on putting large enough tires to need new axles? Then the benefit of the D44's is not there. Do you plan on lifting 4-6 inches? Then you may want full front disconnects and don't bother with the electronic disconnect. I say all this because I bought a Rubi but the more I upgrade it, the more those "Rubicon Parts" are just ending up in my garage for resale. I personally wished I bought an X model and saved my money for the upgrades I was going to do anyways. That's just my two cents. Oh by the way, WELCOME to the passion of Jeeps.

EzK 01-13-2011 04:44 PM

For reference I went to Rausch Creek in PA with my friend in December. We did some stuff that is pretty intimidating in brand new Jeeps but his X(stock suspension w/ 32" tires) kept up easily with my Rubicon. I did one rocky hill climb that he didn't attempt but probably would have made with a good spotter.

I have a Rubicon because I had a TJ and wanted to mod it heavily but at this point in my life I'd never have the cash free to make these large purchases so I sold it and made a down payment on a rubicon so I could have these mods in friendly monthly installments. Sometimes I think I should have gotten an X and used the extra money to lift and mod it but then I get over it because I love this Jeep. Basically, I think you'll be happy either way. I've had a Jeep since I was 17: 91 yJ, '00 TJ, '08 Rubicon. I felt like it was time to graduate to something nicer.

Notakar 01-13-2011 06:44 PM

Take a look at the features of each.

I was looking a 2008 X and a 2008 Rubi. Virtually identical on the surface.

I needed a DD and probably will not do any Rock crawling so the gearing in the Rubi was not needed (wanted maybe, but not needed). More gumbo mud around here than rocks.

I compared the other options and decided that I only wanted two of the options so the next question was did I want them so much much that it justified the difference in price.

Thanks to this forum,:bowdown: I figured out that I could add cruise control in 30 minutes with a cruise control arm from Mopar for minimum cost. I could also add the tow package for a similar investment (a little time and a little money).

Would i like to have a Rubi :yup:

Could I afford to spend an extra 5K or a hitch and cruise control:naw:

It's all in what you want/need/can't live without:thumbsup:

CrazyCasey 01-13-2011 07:55 PM

IF YOU WANT TO ROCK CRAWL AND DO SOME SERIOUS 4WHEELING THEN GET THE RUBICON. IF YOU DONT PLAN ON GETTING TO CRAZY GET AN X.... there are tons of threads on the forum of people who wish they had bought a rubi. just 2 weeks ago I enjoyed winching 4 "X" models on a trail run we did not once but twice because my rubi was the only one that could make it!!!

better to do it with no regrets!!!

DTH6 01-13-2011 08:23 PM

Those all sound like the way to go so it makes the situation even more difficult. What is the real differance between a lifted x and a rubicon?...can a X support 37s on stock axles and will gears push them? Or will re gearing be necessary?