JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Off-Road 101 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/)
-   -   warn XD9000i and stock battery (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/warn-xd9000i-stock-battery-92076/)

nmwranglerx 06-30-2009 11:10 AM

warn XD9000i and stock battery

Okay, so I was lucky enough to get a good deal on a used Warn XD9000i winch :ya:. Now the issue I have is what to do about the battery. Warn recommends a battery with 650 cca. which is greater than the stock battery. I know a lot of people are running Optima yellow tops but I don't have the $200 to pay for one. Sadly, Costco who had a great price on them in my area is no longer carrying the yellowtop. Any suggestions? Should I purchase a new less expensive battery with more cranking amps or just connect to stock battery and wait till I can get the money for the Optima?

Augie 06-30-2009 11:45 AM

I run the same setup as you and have not had any issue with performance of winch.

Soopurman0 06-30-2009 01:30 PM

hook it up... whats the worst case scenario? you have to buy a new battery anyway?

Machine154 06-30-2009 01:49 PM

You could always run a dual-battery setup and get a $60 battery.

geebee 06-30-2009 02:09 PM

i have a 9.5ti with stock battery with no issues.

antigr4v 06-30-2009 02:21 PM

the autozone battery, the duralast gold is 800cca.. its only like 90 bux i think.

tkob1060 06-30-2009 02:55 PM

on a long hard pull it may make a difference, make SURE you dont over load it by winching for to long at once and keep the RPM's up

nmwranglerx 06-30-2009 07:01 PM

thanks for all the feedback everyone :thumbsup:. It seems like a number of people are sticking with the stock battery and doing fine. I'll probably do the same for now. I just wouldn't want to be stranded somewhere with a dead battery after winching. This is the first winch I've owned so I didn't know how critical the battery power is.

jkkat 07-01-2009 06:20 AM

<--had a stock battery for awhile and it was fine and now have a red top and it works well too!!!!!

IMFletch 07-01-2009 10:52 AM

Stay with the stock battery

I have the same set up (stock battery and Warn XD9000i and have had no problems recovering my buddies H2. If you are going to be wheeling every weekend and using the winch frequently, then maybe go to the optima. Otherwise, you are fine with the stock battery.

nmwranglerx 07-01-2009 03:08 PM

good to hear some more responses. looks like I'll stick with the stock battery until it goes south which is great news. I really maxxed my funding out with the winch and bumper purchase. i still have to get a tree saver and snatch strap. ahhhh when does it end?

JohnnyRubicon 07-01-2009 03:12 PM

I have the same setup. One time on a long hard pull the battery light on the dash started flashing. I stopped winching, revved the engine and let it recharge. This happened a few more times during the pull and I did the same thing. That was about 1 month ago and I have not had any problem yet.

You’ll be surprised how strong the stock battery is. I did all of this after draining it once camping and having to jump it. So far the battery is running strong, although one day, when I have to I will get an optima.

Benchmark Designs Inc. 07-01-2009 10:17 PM

Here's the solution to a single battery having trouble. This way you don't have to worry about killing your battery out in the middle of nowhere.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...hlight=battery

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...k/100_2951.jpg

sleeves 07-07-2009 07:20 AM

i just added a winch myself yesterday, smittybilt xrc 10. connected it to the stock battery connected the cable to a tree and pulled the jeep a total of four times yesterday using almost the full 100ft of cable (i was trying it out). didnt kill my battery.

had a warn 8000lb previous to this, added the optima yellow top because i figured i needed to. it pulled well also, no problems.

nmwranglerx 07-08-2009 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc. (Post 1213162)
Here's the solution to a single battery having trouble. This way you don't have to worry about killing your battery out in the middle of nowhere.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...hlight=battery

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...k/100_2951.jpg

Holy crap, that looks like it could power a small nation :eek2:. However, I barely have the money for one optima battery let alone two. I noticed that Costco in my area is carrying the blue top marine D34 for a great price ($144 I think). I'm wondering if I could run this in the JK.

Benchmark Designs Inc. 07-09-2009 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by nmwranglerx (Post 1223745)
Holy crap, that looks like it could power a small nation :eek2:. However, I barely have the money for one optima battery let alone two. I noticed that Costco in my area is carrying the blue top marine D34 for a great price ($144 I think). I'm wondering if I could run this in the JK.

Go with a red top or yellow top.

nmwranglerx 07-10-2009 06:55 AM

Optima $25 rebate

Sooooo, Optima is running the rebate again this summer. Last summer I believe it was $40 but this summer it's $25. I went with a friend of mine to Sam's Club and they have the yellow top for $162. This means I could get it for about $150 with tax and after rebate. This puts the battery price within range but it's still a lot to spend on a battery.

Weeds 07-15-2009 07:51 PM

After being stranded in snow with a bad battery, walking 3 miles and having to pay someone to give me a jump. There is no such thing as spending too much for a good battery.

bachus25 07-17-2009 06:21 PM

optima's for sure have one of the best reputations in the area. i had one in my older car powering a pretty powerful system and didn't havent any issues with the red top.

TheGeneral 07-23-2009 05:06 AM

I heard that the red-top once hooked up to a winch they wont warranty it??

I had the option for a Yellow top or a blue top for the same price, and the blue was the same as the yellow, but obviously for boats etc.... and I think the cranking amps were higher in the blue.

I went with the blue as it was the same price, and COSTCO has some good deals on them.

I dont see why running a blue is any worse than a yellow, but i wouldnt go red. Thats just my opinion.

Dwikto 07-23-2009 08:03 AM

Well as a long time proponent of yellow tops I am now changing my tune. I do not think that Optima's quality control is very good. I bought one from costco installed it it was dead and not chargable. I returned it got another one and it died in 16mos. That is two yellow tops in 16 mos, for a battery that is supposed to last 72 mos or whatever. So as I had to return it to costco again (they think I am pulling some scam because it shows i keep returning batteries there) I went with the newer Blue top. It has higher CA, and CCA and the same RCA as the yellow top. It also has wingnut accessory posts. I have had it in 1 month so far. I hope this one lasts:dontknow2: I stil do not know if there is an internal difference, but all the stats they list on the top of the battery the blue top was better.:thinking:

nmwranglerx 07-25-2009 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dwikto (Post 1250966)
Well as a long time proponent of yellow tops I am now changing my tune. I do not think that Optima's quality control is very good. I bought one from costco installed it it was dead and not chargable. I returned it got another one and it died in 16mos. That is two yellow tops in 16 mos, for a battery that is supposed to last 72 mos or whatever. So as I had to return it to costco again (they think I am pulling some scam because it shows i keep returning batteries there) I went with the newer Blue top. It has higher CA, and CCA and the same RCA as the yellow top. It also has wingnut accessory posts. I have had it in 1 month so far. I hope this one lasts:dontknow2: I stil do not know if there is an internal difference, but all the stats they list on the top of the battery the blue top was better.:thinking:

Yikes! Two in 16 months. that doesn't sound good at all. I looked at the blue top too b/c the Costco in my area doesn't have the yellow tops. The specs on the blue and yellow top seem the same from the Optima website. I can't see why the blue top wouldn't work or what the drawback would be.:dontknow2: Maybe someone who knows could chime in.