Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

water crossing

Old 06-16-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water crossing

Im a new jeep owner 07 jk 2dr x i was going through some pretty deep water in first gear and my jeep bogged way down to around 5 or 600 rpm i thought i was gonna stall out has this happend to anyone else or is this normal my jeep is still bone stock except for rims and cheap tires that came from dealership
Old 06-16-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should always keep your RPMs up, otherwise you'll suck water in your tail pipe and stall. But don't go through water above your axles without checking to make sure that the breather lines all good and not cracked. If you go through deep water for more then a few feet it's a good idea to change the diff fluid and engine oil incase you sucked water in there. A snokel is a great mod but you'll need to chop the fender and right now they're pretty pricey. Do a search on water crossing and you should get all the answers you're lookin for. A set of pontoons might be needed if you're driving in the mid west right now. sorry, I had to throw that in
Old 06-16-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

i was giving it all it had and still very low rpms maby water was to deep about to bottom of head lights or i went into it to fast and was pushing too much water but i was running 3 to 5 mph i dont know what the problem was maby there wasnt one i made it but the low rpms really worried me. and yes pontoons would be a very good idea where im at right now most small towns around me need boats to get in and out of town ill try and get some pics to post on here water is going down now so the whole town smells like a rotten fart
Old 06-16-2008, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by neopj3
You should always keep your RPMs up, otherwise you'll suck water in your tail pipe and stall.
The exhaust will not pull water in and cause a stall. It's the intake you need to be concerned about.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riverzendz
The exhaust will not pull water in and cause a stall. It's the intake you need to be concerned about.
X2 ... get that tail pipe in as deep as you want and it can idle under there all day long...

dont believe me ?? ask anyone in the world with a boat.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are rare circumstances when the engine can suck h20 through the tailpipe but it's probably not gonna' make it to the engine. Exhaust doesn't function too well as an intake...
Old 06-17-2008, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bet your ESP was partly on or on totally.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkkat

Damn that water was running.

Were you the first to cross?

I think I would have been hard pressed to cross that much agua.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

That looks pretty dangerous! If it somehow turned over you could have been pinned in your jeep!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by codybill_1
Im a new jeep owner 07 jk 2dr x i was going through some pretty deep water in first gear and my jeep bogged way down to around 5 or 600 rpm i thought i was gonna stall out has this happend to anyone else or is this normal my jeep is still bone stock except for rims and cheap tires that came from dealership
Mine used to do that. any resonable amount of water would cause it to bog down and i'd have to hold the gas pedal to keep it running. once it completely died on me. so, to fix the problem, i plowed through a river crossing at about 30+ spraying water everywhere. figured i'd either brake what was trying to fail or make the jeep learn to deal with water. eitherway it worked. i've been in water as deep as the river in the video below and sat there with no problems. Need to teach the jeep that water is not bad and its ok to play in it.

Originally Posted by riverzendz
yep yep.

Originally Posted by jkkat

yeah, the ESP could be f'n up. and btw, that is an awesome video. i've done a white water crossing in mine as well. 2 feet deep according to the little measuring stick they had in the water where i crossed. its a wierd sensation to bump off a rock and go side ways a little. it almost wants to float when the water is that deep.

Quick Reply: water crossing