Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.
Sponsored by CARiD
Click Here

What are methods to haul a rig out of a trail due to trail damages?

Old 11-08-2018, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What are methods to haul a rig out of a trail due to trail damages?

Just in case a trail damages are not fixable on a trail or severe (e.g. - broken axle, control arm, etc. ), what are methods to hauling a buddy's rig out from the trail to at least get on pavement? Youtube videos would be nice.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Randy Tang View Post
Just in case a trail damages are not fixable on a trail or severe (e.g. - broken axle, control arm, etc. ), what are methods to hauling a buddy's rig out from the trail to at least get on pavement? Youtube videos would be nice.
Was just looking at youtube... Check these out:
Old 11-13-2018, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Winches, hands, snatch blocks, tow straps, trees, brute force, and plenty of friends willing to help out! Just went through this a couple of weeks ago when a buddy sheared his sector shaft, halfway up an obstacle at midnight. We ran a winch line to a tree to set as an anchor so we could come back and handle it during daylight hours. Took us about 2 hours to get him up to the top of the obstacle where we had backed a tow rig and flatbed up to. PITA for sure, but where there’s a will...there’s a way! I busted a c clip and ended up grenading the Dana 35 in my ‘93 Grand Cherokee out on a sandbar over 15 years ago. No rolling it anywhere, as the entire wheel/axle would simply walk out of the axle tube. So we ran a chain through the wheel and around the frame, and drug it to the parking lot where I could get it on a flatbed.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 244 Likes on 233 Posts

I think it's hard to plan for the type of thing you're asking about, because every single situation is going to be different. It usually seems to take multiple people (combined brain power), ingenuity, resourcefulness, and a lot of determination. A lot of times it seems you have to make use of what nature is providing around you. I've seen several times one side of an axle had to be set on and strapped to a downed tree trunk of similar and just dragged up and out of an obstacle. Having a solid group of buddies is usually the best asset ever. I bet this topic could be a real YouTube rabbit hole.

Your question even applies to just getting a rig to an appropriate location to fix something that IS fixable, which leads me to the general comment (not aimed at the OP) that anyone who decides to go out and wheel should 1) know how to work on their rig (if you can't do it in your garage, how you gonna address it on a trail), and 2) always take adequate tools when heading out, and for big trips fluids as well. Breaking things is part of the game, so best be prepared to fix it.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I watched a new JL get dragged out of Little Blue at Disney, OK strapped on to a log a couple of weeks ago. They broke a (or both) front axles and both drivers ball joints. Unbolted the wheel, ratchet strapped a log up under it, and drug it out with a big 6-wheel beast.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hivoltagedriver View Post
I watched a new JL get dragged out of Little Blue at Disney, OK strapped on to a log a couple of weeks ago. They broke a (or both) front axles and both drivers ball joints. Unbolted the wheel, ratchet strapped a log up under it, and drug it out with a big 6-wheel beast.
I may be the only one but I would just about kill to see a video of that happening.......
Old 11-20-2018, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ask and ye shall recieve...
The following users liked this post:
jsukey (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://youtu.be/te7j9dHSDNA
No part of that failed to exceed my wildest dreams....... thank you much. Anyone want to take bets on whether there’s a beefier front end under that Jeep now or not? I would bet on the former.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 244 Likes on 233 Posts

Dang, what they heck did they do to bust axle and ball joints? Was there some big obstacle just outside field of view in that video? Never been up to Disney.....it's always been just outside reach from the DFW Metroplex of "if i'm driving that far....there are so many places to go".
Old 05-06-2019, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iíve seen guys use a tree as a skid for a broken rear axle. Itís not easy to rig up but it can be done lol

Quick Reply: What are methods to haul a rig out of a trail due to trail damages?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: