Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Whats the safe way to connect a tow strap to a vehicle without recovery points?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hesh

RTJ Hooks:

The bridle theyre attached to:

After reading this I started looking for these via google. All that I'm finding are rated for 4700lbs and "not for recovery". Is that what you have or do you have something I'm just not finding? Granted I realize they probably wouldn't/shouldn't be used to pull a fully loaded jeep out of a mudhole, but are they enough to pull some plastic fantastic out of a snowbank?

What I just found:
h tt p://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466644_200466644
Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yipes.
$70 plus $10 shipping.
Methinks I'll leave 'em in the ditch.
Naahh, I'll help. I'll just be very careful what I get involved in. Small car in snowbank, yeah. Big one in ditch, maybe not.

Actually the receiver D-ring thing makes a lot of sense. Not expensive and lots of SUVs have receivers. I think pulling a 4 wheel drive SUV out of the snow would be a cool ego boost. Then tell them to get a REAL 4 wheel drive vehicle.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by johnrb3b
Yipes.
$70 plus $10 shipping.
Methinks I'll leave 'em in the ditch.
Naahh, I'll help. I'll just be very careful what I get involved in. Small car in snowbank, yeah. Big one in ditch, maybe not.

Actually the receiver D-ring thing makes a lot of sense. Not expensive and lots of SUVs have receivers. I think pulling a 4 wheel drive SUV out of the snow would be a cool ego boost. Then tell them to get a REAL 4 wheel drive vehicle.
They popped up first in google, and are all of 2 miles from my house, why I just linked them heh.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ludski
im curious for helping people on streets. since during winter. i pulled out a lot of cars in ditches. luckily most had hitches or tow spots, otherwise just got out and pushed.
so attaching to an axle is a no go?
Think about what is actually holding your axle onto the vehicle and the damage that yanking those bolts and control arms horizontally could do.

Last edited by Notakar; 09-20-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hesh
I typically carry one of the recovery hitches (pictured below) in my rig for myself, as well as a spare to ensure I have a proper recovery point for trucks/suv's with a 2" Receiver. For the price of under $30 for the spare it gives me the peace of mind that I will have a proper tug-worthy spot to recover a snow-lodged truck in winter. When this isnt suitable for the application, our local tow-truck company gave me a tow-bridle with RTJ frame slot hooks, after the second time they called me to recover one of their trucks they kinda owed me hahahaha.

RTJ Hooks:

The bridle theyre attached to:

Those are the hooks I was referring to. They are what you need if you want to have instant tow points.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry for the confusion guys. The RTJ Bridle is used for winching or towing (read: NOT tugging/yanking) vehicles from ditches etc, where it is normally regular sized cars, and will see static loads, as opposed to a kinetic energy recovery (Yank/Snatch strap).
Old 09-21-2011, 03:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That RTJ bridle would work just fine for putting on the end of a winch line to tug a prius out of a snowy ditch....but yup....not for "dynamic" recoveries. Even if it was rated for the load, the hook design is not suited for that type of recovery. It would be all too easy for one side to pop out when there was slack on the line....then when you load up the strap, only one side is holding....and then it breaks because it's not designed to take the load by itself...and then bad things start happening.

I carry a 12" strap with me for just such occasions. It also works very well for looping around YJ frame rails so that you can attach a winch cable routed through a snatch block to stabilize the YJ while it's up on the XJack while you pull out the lunched spider gears from the rear diff while on an off-camber shale slope.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have recovered people a couple times pulling from the axle and the first time I got my Jeep stuck I had no recovery points and went from the rear axle. I never received any damage from doing this nor have I seen anyone else receive damage doing this. I would definitely not recommend it but it can be done just be careful to make sure you don't put your strap around and brake lines or wires. The axle is one of the strongest points on a vehicle.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by troyboy
ok, so don't help anyone who doesn't have a recovery point?
Make them get front and rear recovery before you wheel with them. My club has that as a mandatory safety requirement. I am not sure why someone would be willing to go wheeling without recovery points on their rig. Even receiver D-rings work in a pinch.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by itsajeepthing91
I have recovered people a couple times pulling from the axle and the first time I got my Jeep stuck I had no recovery points and went from the rear axle. I never received any damage from doing this nor have I seen anyone else receive damage doing this. I would definitely not recommend it but it can be done just be careful to make sure you don't put your strap around and brake lines or wires. The axle is one of the strongest points on a vehicle.
You can pinch a breakline if you're not careful. Also, I've seen leafspring packs pulled apart (not JK's or TJ's obviously). I've seen an e-brake cable torn off. I've also seen the axle housing cut a strap but no one was hurt.

Sure, you could use the axle but...

Quick Reply: Whats the safe way to connect a tow strap to a vehicle without recovery points?