Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Wheeling in a manual - general tips

Old 03-28-2011, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheeling in a manual - general tips

Hey all....just got done with my first real day on the trails...mostly what I'm guessing would be considered tough mild, or light moderate trails. I've got a few questions on best practice in a manual based on a few things that happened. Thanks for the advice everyone.....

- at one point I was approaching a decline with rocks, crawling in 1st until my spotter said to stop...so I put down the clutch and the break half way down. When my wheel was facing the right way, he said to go nice and slow....but by the time I let the clutch out to get back in gear, I was crashing down the rest of it faster than I wanted to.......what was wrong here?

- later, I had to cook it through a long stretch of deep mud. I got up to about 4500 rpm in 1st and realized, ive got to shift! Should I have shifted sooner, later or was it just right? During the shift I feel like I'm at risk of losing some momentum.

I guess I've just got general questions on what gears to be in and when I need the clutch....can I come to a complete stop which still in 1st gear in 4 low, and if not, how do I get back in gear after a dead stop without rolling down hill too much before the gear locks in?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first problem you described is indicative of a lack of sufficient gearing.

The second scenario probably called for you to select a higher gear to begin with.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

First scenario, where you in 4 hi or 4 lo? Decending should be done in 4 lo, first gear and just let the engine do the breaking on the way down. It makes for a nice controllable decent.

Second scenario, if I am going to be going through a long mud pit/ruts, I start out in the same gear I will be in when I exit the obstacle. Usually 2nd of even 3rd gear in low range.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was in 4 low in both scenarios. I agree in being in for low and letting that control the decent, but in this case I ended up needing to come to a complete stop half way down. Wh
Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Good advice. Just one thing to add. While you are in low you can start your jeep while it is in gear WITHOUT depressing the clutch. This can be VERY handy when you are stopped on an incline and need to get going again.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:50 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What set up does your Jeep have? This might help with answers.

What size tires?
What axle gear ratio?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I have learned when crawling over obstacles I found that in 4LO and 1st gear and gradually depressing the brake pedal with the feeling of the motor idle. The motor will kind of crawl and will not stall until you are basically at a dead stop. It takes some practice to get the feeling of this, but it works great in some situations. Also, if you have the Superchips programer I found the Crawl tune very helpful as well when off-roading.

In mud/water 4LO and pick the gear and stick with it! But sometimes you do pick the wrong gear it happens and you have to rev it up to get through or you stall in mud or water. But if you get stuck/stall...don't depress the clutch, turn the key and it will jump start and start crawling in the gear you select without the clutch in 4lo. Again practice this on a dirt road to get the feeling of the jump start. You can do the same on steep hills if you stall.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 03-28-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have to stop on the descent, what about just putting it in neutral and using the brakes to get you down? If not just forget about the gas pedal and watch your RPMS. Push on the brakes and let the clutch out until the RPMS are way down then let the clutch out. I don't have a ton of experience so take that for what its worth. Some guys on here are much more experienced than me. I'm curious to see what they say.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Don't worry about giving it gas in 4lo while climbing over rocks. Jeep will not die on you even if you depress the brake all the way down to bring it to virtually a complete stop. Jeep engineers got it right on this feature. Try it at the trails before a run you will be amazed,but once you hit the gas the feature disables. As far going down hills my rubi crawls at a snails pace even down steep decents without the brakes.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input everyone....to answer the one question, I've got 31 inch tires and stock sahara gearing, I think 3.21.

Quick Reply: Wheeling in a manual - general tips