Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

where to cook on the JK engine?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to do this with our work trucks. A can of soup on the exhaust manifold at the start of shift and a hot lunch was ready at noon. I'll have to take a look and see if there's enough room for this on a JK. My wife and I where just talking about this last night as a lunch option for Moab this year.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Muff Pot

A classic way to cook... eat right from the Muff Pot.

Clamps right on your pipe, nice and hot.

Seriously it clamps on the pipe and cooks up some smokies just fine, snowmobile ticks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1Muffpot365.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	148853  

Last edited by MountainJK; 04-13-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default Hmmm

How would you explain to the insurance company? Well you see I was cookin' this chicken on the the manifold over there yonder and you see my bird over cooked just a little and well then it happened My Really nice JK well a just caught on fire.... I tried to save the chicken but it was just too gone by the time I can get to it....

I think if I were to cook? which I probably will never do I would set up a digital remote thermometer, a remote camera,and a smoke detector so I can check it... Oh yea and about 8 5lb fire extinguishers..... Just saying....lol

k all kidding aside I used to heat my burritos on the manifold in my jeep grand Cherokee and cook egg beaters.... lol but I would watch the stuff carefully....
and those where the days when fuel was cheaper and I can let my vehicle idle for a bit...
Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 PM
JK Newbie

I worked for Memphis LG&W trimming trees off the power lines in the early '70's. I had one of those trucks with a 45 foot bucket on top. Had to run the engine all day. We never cooked but would reheat lunch on the engine. Real nice on those 10-20 degree January days. Gave it up, I hated those calls at 3am to go out in an ice storm.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bareass
now how do you do this while not getting it muddy, and spilling it all over the place?
Find you a metal can that closes and preferably twists locks on the lid. Spam is already sealed shut and you know its done when the lid pops open.I've seen coffee cans used, I've seen eggs cooked in Altoid cans wrapped in tin foil.

Originally Posted by ludski
wait ohmygod this is a serious thing?!
i thought you were joking!!!
Yes this is a serious thing.. Why would you think we're joking? Us southern boys down here get hungry on the trail. Either you innovate ways to cook food or you carry a grill.. I'd rathr cook while wheelin Try it some time its really not that big of a deal, and I've yet to hear of anyone setting their jeeps on fire by cooking food.. I'd worry more about the transcooler than the make shift grill on the manifolds

Only time I've EVER seen anyone hurt was tellico plains Dixie Run i think it was 97 or 98. A guy we were hanging out with was cooking some food while on trail 12. At some point Ronnie screamed your pankcake can fell out, you would've thought someone was shooting at him lol. He jumped out of his jeep to go after the can and sprained an ankle,lol.

Man i wish tellico was still open. I miss her so...
Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default Yep

Originally Posted by Orangeav
I've heard of this, and should work great. I think there is a cook book called "The Manifold Destiny"
Picked up for my dad's birthday last year.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default It time to eat when you smell the meat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2247.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	161453
Cooking on the trial.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rubydak
Attachment 161453
Cooking on the trial.
Wow...Now I feel bad. The inside of mine is currently covered in traildust.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I found a truckers lunch box at Awdirect Towing. Item vtlb1 Plugs into the cig lighter and heats up food in less than one hour. the size of an old school lunch box fits, Cans of chili, soup, makes hot sandwiches, etc. Really great and easy to use

Last edited by OffRoadGeorge; 05-17-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

i like this idea i want to cook smores tho! any ideas

Quick Reply: where to cook on the JK engine?