Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Where to prestrech wire rope?

Old 06-30-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to prestrech wire rope?

Hi all,

Just put a winch on my Jeep not too long ago and need to prestretch the wire rope...where do you all hook your wire rope to in order to provide you a stable anchor for doing so? I was thinking just a big ass tree, but haven't found one around where I live that looked like it wouldn't be pulled off it's roots if I did so. Anyone use a lighting fixture base at a mall?
Old 06-30-2008, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ColinW
Hi all,

Just put a winch on my Jeep not too long ago and need to prestretch the wire rope...where do you all hook your wire rope to in order to provide you a stable anchor for doing so? I was thinking just a big ass tree, but haven't found one around where I live that looked like it wouldn't be pulled off it's roots if I did so. Anyone use a lighting fixture base at a mall?
basketball hoop pole in the drive, another vehicle parked with the Ebrake on nice and tight, big tree, mail box if yours is pretty hefty and its level ground that you'll be rolling on (hook near the base of course), thats about all i can come up with for now, i would recommend the tree, basketball pole, or the other vehicle... the others are more so last resorts and the fixture base at the mall would work great, but i'm not sure how mall security or local PD would feel about it.

Good luck
Old 06-30-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

behind a supermarket/walmart, the loading docks usually have some heavy guardrails.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the ideas guys...mikeyfl, are you talking about those black rubber looking things on the loading dock ( I think they're to protect the truck/dock when it backs up to unload)?
Old 07-01-2008, 05:41 AM
JK Junkie

Rhonda and I going to empty parking lots on inclines to rewind our winches after a weekend of use to straighten them out. Being Rhonda works @ Boeing we go after the first shift is out.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mikeyfl
behind a supermarket/walmart, the loading docks usually have some heavy guardrails.
ya but do early am or late pm

cause people look at you funny.. at least at night when the cops show up you only have to say it once "it's a Jeep thing"
Old 07-01-2008, 03:11 PM
JK Junkie

any one of them.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ColinW
Hi all,

Camryn Manheim, Queen Latifah, or 2003 "American Idol" winner Ruben Studdard...any of those should do the job nicely.

Russ D.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by UCLA JK Rida'
Camryn Manheim, Queen Latifah, or 2003 "American Idol" winner Ruben Studdard...any of those should do the job nicely.

Russ D.
Or Oprah on an "off day".....
Old 07-01-2008, 11:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by seal20
Or Oprah on an "off day".....

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...forgot about her Royal Bigness...my bad.

Russ D.

Quick Reply: Where to prestrech wire rope?