Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winch Basics

Old 11-14-2015, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Owl
More good information. I thought (although I don't know why) that you couldn't swap synthetic for steel. That might be a good option.
I changed out the roller fairlead for a smooth aluminum one. My drum had no burrs but If there were I would have just touched it up with some sandpaper/paint. I got the Smittybilt 10k rope and it came with a sleeve on the first several feet to protect the rope from the drum. From my research for my winch I have to limit running out the rope under power as the winch is working against the brake and generates a lot of heat which could damage the rope. Better to freespool out when possible. Im guessing your winch probably has a similar braking system but you might want to research it.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are thoughts on over current protection from the wiring feeding he winch? All of the winches on my companies work trucks have either a fuse or circuit breaker on them but most of the personal winches I have seen have nothing. Realize the size of the over current device could get big. I am just starting to look at winches and am trying to learn the basics.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue26
What are thoughts on over current protection from the wiring feeding he winch? All of the winches on my companies work trucks have either a fuse or circuit breaker on them but most of the personal winches I have seen have nothing. Realize the size of the over current device could get big. I am just starting to look at winches and am trying to learn the basics.
I have the Warn Zeon 10-S. It has a thermal protection.
I added no fuse or circuit breaker.

Read this for replies to your question --

Warn offers an accessory 'Power Interrupt Kit' PN 62132 --This can be easily made form a solenoid, wires and a switch.

A simple disconnect switch for high Amp., for when the winch isn't used, is another option.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-15-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:40 AM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

I went with a high-current switch, at the battery. It's "off" normally, and has to be switched to "on" when I need the winch. Kind of a pain, but better than nothing. The issue is the wire / conductors to the winch, which could overheat due to excessive current, and possibly cause the insulation and surrounding flammable materials to ignite. The Warn option that GJeep references (a high current solenoid and remote switch) is very ingenious, and would serve very well. There are high current DC circuit breakers available (and fuses), but selecting the correct size / amperage of overcurrent protection would be tricky (depending on the full load current used by the winch motor).
Old 11-15-2015, 12:44 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Owl
I went with a high-current switch, at the battery. It's "off" normally, and has to be switched to "on" when I need the winch. Kind of a pain, but better than nothing. The issue is the wire / conductors to the winch, which could overheat due to excessive current, and possibly cause the insulation and surrounding flammable materials to ignite. The Warn option that GJeep references (a high current solenoid and remote switch) is very ingenious, and would serve very well. There are high current DC circuit breakers available (and fuses), but selecting the correct size / amperage of overcurrent protection would be tricky (depending on the full load current used by the winch motor).
In addition --

I think that real thick +/- cables to the winch, wired so each touches nothing on the way, would give 99% peace of mind.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

Might just be the electrician in me but I was alway taught that you have OCP as close to the source as possible with your wire sized to it. Nice that the winches have built in protection to protect themselves and if you could keep the wire isolated in case of a short then all would be well but how realistic is it to run from the battery out to a bumper mounted winch with out the conductor touching anything that ties to the negative? I am still a little ways off from buying mine since the wife has squashed most of my jeep spending until after the new year but I appreciate the feedback.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:50 AM
JK Junkie

..... how realistic is it to run from the battery out to a bumper mounted winch with out the conductor touching anything that ties to the negative?
A thermal/abrasion protective sleeve on the cable can give you peace of mind.

Example --
Old 11-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Might just be the electrician in me but I was alway taught that you have OCP as close to the source as possible with your wire sized to it........
Yep, overcurrent protection as close to the battery as possible. Hence my choice to place a switch there (as the OCP calculations required a very large fuse [just wouldn't fit]).
Old 11-18-2015, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Owl
More good information. I thought (although I don't know why) that you couldn't swap synthetic for steel. That might be a good option.
Most you can't swap. If the brake is in the drum it gets too hot for rope.

I have the syn X2O and love it.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GJeep

A thermal/abrasion protective sleeve on the cable can give you peace of mind.

Example --
Braided Sleeving Products
Great site, thanks. This has been a problem with old Pontiac starter wires for years. They originally ran positive wire from battery all the way to the starter, usually snaking it along and next to the engine and exhaust manifold! This was the cause of many fires.

One solution was to get a Ford starter relay similar to the setup sold by Warn, except the Ford relays are around $25. Search the net on the subject, tons of info.This relay could be applied to the winch too.

Mine has been on for about 6 years. I need to inspect the wires and consider looms for protection. Not sure I'd bother with the relay at this point, but it is worth considering.

Quick Reply: Winch Basics