Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winch Basics

Old 02-16-2016, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed my 200amp Cooper Bussman circuit breaker for my Superwinch TS 11500SR. Now I can safely isolate power to the winch when I'm not using it. Definitely beats the 4-50amp self-resetting fuses that came with the winch!
Old 02-24-2016, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by '11BronzeStar70th
Installed my 200amp Cooper Bussman circuit breaker for my Superwinch TS 11500SR. Now I can safely isolate power to the winch when I'm not using it. Definitely beats the 4-50amp self-resetting fuses that came with the winch!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-605164501.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	497.5 KB
ID:	638744

Finally got a pic! Be sure to get at least a 18" 2gage cable from the battery + to the switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3322255808.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	522.4 KB
ID:	638746
Old 02-28-2016, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by '11BronzeStar70th
Your serious? That's what came with that winch. Wow.

Sent from my Carl Gustav
Old 03-04-2016, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chemlight

Your serious? That's what came with that winch. Wow.

Sent from my Carl Gustav
Yep! Wrote a nasty-gram to Superwinch about it and the poor instructions that didn't even mention it. Great winch though!!
Old 03-07-2016, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOl5s_2jYPg
Old 04-13-2016, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning

Just a quick note - if you add a wireless, I STRONGLY recommend a switch to cut power that is installed in the cab. We added a switch to the solenoid ground, after installing the first winch without one. Te first winch remote was on the same frequency as a ceiling fan remote on a job. It wasn't pretty.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Synthetic rope is way safer and lighter than cable. One of the most important features of synthetic winch lines is the safety benefits they provide. Synthetic lines do not store energy while under load and is very lightweight. This means that if something should go wrong and the rope breaks, it will harmlessly fall to the ground. Steel wire rope on the other hand, stores a tremendous amount of energy under load, and in the case of breakage, will violently snap back and whiplash. This can cause serious injury to people involved in the winching procedure.

One other thing to consider with the length of rope you get is you will loose about 10% of the winches rated power for every wrap of rope above the first layer\ drum. IE: Drum Layer - 8000 lbs. (100% of rated capacity)
2nd Layer - 6,800 lbs. (85% of rated capacity)
3rd Layer - 5,760 lbs. (72% of rated capacity)
4th Layer - 4,960 lbs. (62% of rated capacity)
5th Layer - 4,240 lbs. (53% of rated capacity)

Snatch block should be rated to at least the same rating as your synthetic rope.

D-rings are going to be your weak link, know your working load limit(WLL) on these and carry the appropriate size.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
Synthetic rope is way safer and lighter than cable. One of the most important features of synthetic winch lines is the safety benefits they provide. Synthetic lines do not store energy while under load and is very lightweight. This means that if something should go wrong and the rope breaks, it will harmlessly fall to the ground. Steel wire rope on the other hand, stores a tremendous amount of energy under load, and in the case of breakage, will violently snap back and whiplash. This can cause serious injury to people involved in the winching procedure.

One other thing to consider with the length of rope you get is you will loose about 10% of the winches rated power for every wrap of rope above the first layer\ drum. IE: Drum Layer - 8000 lbs. (100% of rated capacity)
2nd Layer - 6,800 lbs. (85% of rated capacity)
3rd Layer - 5,760 lbs. (72% of rated capacity)
4th Layer - 4,960 lbs. (62% of rated capacity)
5th Layer - 4,240 lbs. (53% of rated capacity)

Snatch block should be rated to at least the same rating as your synthetic rope.

D-rings are going to be your weak link, know your working load limit(WLL) on these and carry the appropriate size.

Good info. To present another side of the "steel v synthetic" conversation:
- know your terrain. If you are often winching over rocks or trees and the line could be dragged over them, especially mid-pull when your jeep slides a bit, the line could possibly snap on you. If you are hanging on by your line (over a ledge, for example) then you do NOT want your line snapping.

- Synthetic lines have a MUCH shorter lifespan then steel. I've read as short as 1 year (depending on storage and elements exposure I'm sure).

- Weight: the weight difference is really not that big. I think the difference is only around 25lbs if memory serves me. Not enough to really impact the more important safety decisions of snapping when you don't want it to, and also the danger of steel lines when they snap as mentioned. Those, and the life span (ie, money) are the main factors.

When I was doing an install write-up for a magazine years ago, I had the opportunity to speak directly with management at Warn on this subject. I was swayed into sticking with steel. I do contemplate synthetic often, but have stuck with my steel line (for 7+ years, actually).

Just food for thought. Not looking to start a debate, just pass on info I've gathered.

Quick Reply: Winch Basics