Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winch purist questions?

Old 04-23-2017, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand the "purist" aspect either, but that not what you asked about.

Try this link for a More Power Puller:
https://www.wyeth-scott.com/
Old 04-23-2017, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tumbleweed44
I don't understand the "purist" aspect either, but that not what you asked about.

Try this link for a More Power Puller:
https://www.wyeth-scott.com/

Yep.

For a man powered recovery device, that is a good one.

Crazy thing is, it is more than 50% of the cost of my Warn M8000.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:00 PM
JK Newbie

Better secure it inside the jeep, so when your planning results in a wreck or rollover, you don't end up getting whacked in the head with a big chuck of metal.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback from each of you. Special thanks to Tumbleweed44 for answering my question. And yes, ride a horse, take a covered wagon, ... You all made me laugh aloud.

This is my third Jeep (CJ5, TJ, and now JK) and I've never owned a power winch. If I'm totally honest, I guess my primary power winch aversion is really about weight. I'm trying to keep weight down as we do sometimes pull this Jeep behind a motorhome, and I like to keep a buffer on the tow limit.

Anyway, I have not totally ruled out a winch. No doubt, if I put myself in a position to need one and have to go my manual route, I'll likely order one the minute I get home!

Thanks again. This forum is very knowledgeable, helpful, ... and blunt!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

with synthetic line winches can be pretty light.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
with synthetic line winches can be pretty light.

Warn 9.0Rc

54 lbs.

https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/9.0Rc.jsp
Old 04-25-2017, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Something to consider. Thanks, gentlemen!
Old 04-25-2017, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I wheel places that you might die trying to walk out of. Seems silly that one would be alive if he/she had an electric winch. I would only assume he makes sure he doesn't get into bad situations, as he should when wheeling alone.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Last edited by MORZ2; 04-26-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regardless of whether or not you intend to rock crawl for the purposes of rock crawling, a winch is absolutely, positively one of the most important pieces of equipment that you can have on a Jeep that will be used in challenging situations off road.

Over the past 27 years I have operated tractors, Jeeps, quads, Argos, Nodwells, UTV's, and one ton trucks in some of the hairiest terrain that North America has to offer. I have made my living doing so for part of that time, and managed others making their living doing so for even more time. That has left me with the opinion that a properly installed and utilized winch will make a HUGE addition to your safety when off road. No come-a-long, cable puller, chainsaw winch, wheel mounted winch, or whatzamahoozit will ever be able to do the variety of things that a good winch and operator can do with anything approaching the same margin of safety. As an example, I have personally been in three situations where my winch didn't just allow me to continue my day of off-road activity....it allowed me to run a line from the front of a vehicle to an anchor point and ensure that said vehicle could be extricated from a very hazardous situation safely. A come-a-long would not have had the strength or reach required in any of those three situations.

Also, the combination of synthetic line, good rigging practices, and snatch blocks means that when you load your recovery system an electric winch can be safer than any steel-cable based device. I have personally been present when amateurs using a high-lift jack, steel cable, and a Jeep came within 6 inches of burying a shackle in a friend's skull. Having the right tools is about more than making the job easy....it's about nobody getting hurt.

Installing a winch doesn't mean that you are going to rely on it to save your bacon. It means that you have invested the time and effort to understand the tool, learn how to use it, and will be ready to deal with challenging situations when they happen.

Quick Reply: Winch purist questions?