Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winch won't freespool? Please Help...

Old 05-19-2011, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch won't freespool? Please Help...

Used my winch the other day and it seemed to work fine. I had a buddy hooking the line and he's the last one to put it in free spool. Today I was going to let all my line out and wind it up tight and neat, but I could not get it to go into free spool. It will take line in and out fine and works under load. What can I try to do to get it to free spool again?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
Will the lever go into free spool & the cable won't come out.. or is the lever stuck?

If the lever will go in free spool then you have it overlapped which has it trapped and will make it harder to pull it out. Just my guess..
The lever wont move...
Old 05-19-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

try pushing in on the cable (towards the winch) and switching it to free spool at the same time thats what i have to do with my xrc sometimes
Old 05-19-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen

the gears need to rotate on the winch

On engage, switch to let out.

then turn the lever to free spool, the cable is hard to put because its not neatly rolled back. if you can get a foot or two out and still tight try to have two or more people pull it out. you can mechanically attach to another vehicle and slowly pull it out. or secure to somrthing and back up SLOWLY

Last edited by Enzo; 05-19-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

I ran it out about 50'ft with and without tension and I couldn't get the lever to move and then I brought it in. The lever jumps when the lines going in and out, but it doesn't release when you try to move it with your hand.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I had the same problem with my xrc8 I just ran it out with the controls I could never get it to free spool. Smittybilt told me they would replace it but I had to send it back on my dime and it was like 50 bucks shipping so I just used the controls.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 08JKRHD
I ran it out about 50'ft with and without tension and I couldn't get the lever to move and then I brought it in. The lever jumps when the lines going in and out, but it doesn't release when you try to move it with your hand.
Did you use some strenght to move the lever
Old 05-19-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

The lever on my xrc8 gets stuck all the time. you have to give it a little wiggle and gently push it into freespool.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Enzo
Did you use some strenght to move the lever
There's a label on it that says not to use force to move the lever. I figured I'd rather have it stuck in engaged than broken or stuck in freespool. I pretty much tried all of these suggestions before posting.

I was really wondering if I coul spray it with something or if there was somewhere to oil it.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

My lever used to stick until I sprayed some PB Blaster into it. That was two years ago and it's been as smooth as butter ever since.

Quick Reply: Winch won't freespool? Please Help...