Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winch won't freespool? Please Help...

Old 05-27-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcharge74
My XRC8 is doing the same thing today, but it is stuck in freespool. Pulled all the line out and took the synthetic line off to change the hook to a safety thimble. Reattached the line and went to engage the clutch and...........Nothing. I tried everything you guys mentioned in this thread, but couldn't get it to budge. I'm going to let the PB Blaster soak in good overnight and check it in the morning. This thing has only been on the Jeep for 2 months. I haven't even gotten the chance to use it yet. Good thing I got the extreme lifetime warranty from 4wd.com. I guess Bustabizz will be getting a call tomorrow.
Initially after spraying the PB Blaster I tried to work the lever back and forth, but it did require enough force that at first I thought I broke it, but it turns out that it was perfectly fine and it hasn't given me any further trouble.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

I think we should do our part and let smittybilt know there's a problem with the winch. Let them know we are from the forum and its spreading that there's a problem.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubicon John
Initially after spraying the PB Blaster I tried to work the lever back and forth, but it did require enough force that at first I thought I broke it, but it turns out that it was perfectly fine and it hasn't given me any further trouble.
Yup! I sprayed it last night and tried to move it right away with no luck. This morning it moved just like it did when I got it out of the packaging. Guess I need to put this on the list of routine maintainence.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is the little ball bearing that you can hear "click" when you move the clutch. It is what sticks. the lube didn't help me, I had to take the whole thing apart to figure that out. Keep that oiled whenever you oil your cable.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
How much was the extreme warranty? I just bought my xrc10 from Bryan about 3 weeks ago now, maybe I can buy it and add it on since I haven't even made a pull on it yet.
I think it all depends on which model you get. My XRC8 was $60. You break it, they fix it, no questions asked. The XRC10 might be a little more, but I wouldn't think it would be that much.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rich1340
The problem is the little ball bearing that you can hear "click" when you move the clutch. It is what sticks. the lube didn't help me, I had to take the whole thing apart to figure that out. Keep that oiled whenever you oil your cable.
got pics ? my winch won't free spool.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

I had this happen with my xrc8. If you use anti seize on the clutch lever, and gently move the lever back and forth it should start to work again.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

damn this just happened to me...

i'm gonna try soaking it tonight to see if it works in the am...
Old 04-07-2012, 10:28 PM
JK Freak

Hammer worked for me. We were on the trail and didn't have any other choice.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Had the same thing happen to mine. Dealership installed and replaced free of charge(had the mechanic who installed the first one, play with it for an hour with no luck), but I do check the new one weekly to make sure it will flip between free spool and engaged.

Quick Reply: Winch won't freespool? Please Help...