Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winches......Question on Ti XP EP or EPI?

Old 07-09-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winches......Question on Ti XP EP or EPI?

Hope this is the right spot..........

Hoping someone can 'splain the difference to me between the

Warn 9.5ti Thermometric Winch
and the Warn 9.5XP W/Roller

And then again on the
Superwinch EP 9.0 Winch
and Superwinch EPi 9.0 Winch

The descriptions of them leave a lot to be desired- especially when comparing them

Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not much to compare them by, for Warn, given that it is possible they could have put less information on their site, but I'm not sure how, guessing, the 9.5 ti has a updated electric motor. How updated - ????? it does have a little red light that tells you the motor is getting hot. Other than that they look pretty similar, discounting the ti's case. Oh and 25 ft more winch cable on the ti.

I not even gonna look at Superwinch, warn wore me down,

I like the Warn 9.5ti, because that's what I have.(yes, a biased opinion, based not on fact nor even opinion, solely on ownership)
Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from the superwinch site:

EP Series Super Duty Recovery Winches
Superwinch EP-Series are packed with the features you want: efficient three-stage planetary gear train, automatic load-holding brake, sealed switching, rugged handheld remote, freespooling, power IN and OUT, and a roller fairlead standard. With the brake mechanism mounted at the end of the gearbox, these winches are ideal for use with synthetic rope. The pre-mounted contactor housing assembly can be easily removed and remote-mounted. Speed, power, and compact design make the EP series a must-have for recovery applications.
EPi Series High Performance Recovery Winches
The Superwinch EPi-Series is loaded with the same features as the EP-Series plus 25 feet additional wire rope and an attractive integrally-mounted sealed contactor bridge. Speed, power and good looks!

The NEW EPi9.0S is equipped with 80 feet of high performance premium 3/8" synthetic rope, anodized aluminum hawse, a stainless steel thimble, and an impressive latched hook. Buyers get the same premium EP performance but with less weight on the vehicle. Fast becoming known as the best off-road winch available!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

LOL! Now why didn't I think of THAT? .....going to the actual site for these and not Quadratech, 4WD, and Central

Thanks
Old 07-12-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yetibear
not much to compare them by, for Warn, given that it is possible they could have put less information on their site, but I'm not sure how, guessing, the 9.5 ti has a updated electric motor. How updated - ????? it does have a little red light that tells you the motor is getting hot. Other than that they look pretty similar, discounting the ti's case. Oh and 25 ft more winch cable on the ti.

I not even gonna look at Superwinch, warn wore me down,

I like the Warn 9.5ti, because that's what I have.(yes, a biased opinion, based not on fact nor even opinion, solely on ownership)
I like your honest answer. I'm gonna buy that one, really.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

I too have the 9.5ti... its sweet.

one thing to remember, dont be like most people and leave your winch all looking pretty from the factory. With the perfectly rolled up cable.
you MUST "stretch" the cable.
if you dont, like i DIDNT, and you need to use it.... it can be UGLY.

i (stupidly) unrolled about 20ft of cable (off the pretty roll) and pulled some dumb ass in a camaro out of a sand dune.... well, when i started the pull, the cable BURRIED into the loosely wrapped cable and luckily didnt pinch the cable underneath. When i went to pull out the cable i had used, to roll it back up nicely.. it wouldnt pull out of the spool, it was stuck. I had to hook on to a tree to get more than 20 feet back off the spool... so i spooled it ALL the way out (leaving 5-6 wraps as suggested by the manufacture), left the parking break set a couple of clicks and rolled it up under a load.

its not all pretty now, but its not going to burry itself like that again.
(learn from others mistakes and you wont make them yourself)

Last edited by RedrockX; 07-12-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: clarificaton
Old 07-12-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

thanks for the mention of the stretch bit....See now I woulda assumed only cable NOT put on by the factory would have to be stretched.........
Old 07-12-2008, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by deconstructionist
thanks for the mention of the stretch bit....See now I woulda assumed only cable NOT put on by the factory would have to be stretched.........
i was almost under the impression that the factory DID put some sort of weight on them, when they spooled it on the drum... but NO...
just enough to keep it all nice and pretty.
and i guess it saves "packaging room/cost" by shipping it ON the drum, vs a big coil of loose cable in a huge box...

you can see who's NEVER used their winch, when you see one all spooled in perfect and straight.
when you USE it, and you have a butt load of line out, you really want to just get it back on there, somewhat uniformally, but never like it comes out of the box.

Quick Reply: Winches......Question on Ti XP EP or EPI?