Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2011 JK Overland/Expedition Project

Old 10-12-2017, 06:43 AM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 JK Overland/Expedition Project

What is up fam! So I haven't been on here in a min, thought I'd come through and give you guys an update on what's all happened the 7 or 8 months I've been MIA... So my poor 07 JK froze up on me while I was heading to The Great Sand Dunes here in CO about 4 months ago which left me with 2 options.... 4-5K on a new motor or sell it as is and move on.....

And so I moved on.. It was a sad day watching it go but after 7 years of owning Jeeps I had a much better idea of what I wanted out of a Jeep but the 2 door wasn't cutting it. So after shopping around for a while I finally found exactly what I was looking for! Behold:
Attachment 675449

I wish.......

However this I what I actually purchased!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	675450Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	3.60 MB
ID:	675451Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0422.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	675452Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	3.46 MB
ID:	675453Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	675454Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0621.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	675455Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0059.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	675456Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0463.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	675457Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	675458Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	675459Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	675460Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0412.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	675461Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0416.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	675462

So as you can see it's a Bright white 4 door JK with a manual transmission and a gorgeous interior! I'm wasn't into the matching tops but it works well with the white plus it reflect lots of heat so it works.

Believe it or not this is my first manual transmission but I'm absolutely loving it! Took about 2 weeks to really get it down but now manual is all i'll ever want haha....Only issue is I've put just about 15,000 miles on it in the short time I've had it but what the hell you only live once right?

Anyway from the pics you can see I've been exploring Colorado nonstop, this place it absolutely wonderful and it's highly recommended for those who haven't been yet. Luckily for me I moved here two years ago from a hell hole called Alabama... No regrets there haha

So with the build I'm going the overland route, this is pretty much what I'm envisioning:

Name:	IMG_7679.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	675463Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepoverland1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	675464Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault-2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	675465
Old 10-12-2017, 07:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Congratulations, and especially on opting for the manual transmission. As you probably know, the build never stops ... I'm ten years in and still have new mod ideas. Next up for me: Get the HF function of the ham radio working.

Dalton Highway, north of the Arctic Circle ...

Name:	Alaska Trip, May-Jul 16, Ray's Pics, 1_6161, Dalton Highway.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	675468

Craters of the Moon National Monument, ID (on way to observe the solar eclipse) ...

Name:	Solar Eclipse Expedition, Aug 17, 7_0735, Jeep at Craters of the Moon.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	675469
Old 10-12-2017, 04:32 PM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Mark! Yes, originally I opted for the manual as they were set at a more reasonable price point but after having used it for 3 months it's pretty much night and day compared to the automatic. Not only is the Jeep not searching for what gear to be in going up and down mountains or even the slightest of hills but I have much more control over my fuel consumption. Off road however has become slightly more complicated but I think it's just me being new to it.

I went to Mendo Pass at The Great Sand Dunes and made about a the first 3/4 of a mile and got stuck in some sand... I didn't take advantage of 4 low because I wasn't thinking but from the smell of it I was burning my clutch so I dug out the sand by hand until I could get back to where it was hard packed. Other than using 4 low what is the trick to driving in the sand (or mud for that matter with not being able to change gears while the clutch is submerged) every time I put it in first and attempted to move forward or reverse the ABS would stop it for one (even when disengaged) and it would stall out almost immediately?
Old 10-13-2017, 12:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

You need to turn off your ESP. A lot of people are unaware that the one ESP button offers three modes: Fully on, partly off, fully off (which isn't really fully off, but it's pretty good). Fully on is normal operating mode. Partly off is what happens when you push the button briefly. Fully off is what happens when you push and HOLD the button for five to seven seconds or so. If you go to 4-low, then you're automatically in fully off mode. But then you've probably got way too much torque for sand; you might try starting off in a higher gear to mitigate that.

Also, did you air down tires? For general overlanding I air down to about 20 PSI. But, for sandy stretches, I air down much lower--15 or even lower. Also, when stuck, as you're trying to drive forward (gently on the gas to reduce tire spin), rapidly move the steering wheel back and forth to get the front tires to dig better into the dirt. And, if all of that fails, a shovel and MaxTraxs are your friends, and once you're moving, momentum is your friend.

EDIT: A couple final thoughts: I like aggressive AT tires, and have had great performance in sand from Goodyear Duratracs. Currently running BF Goodrich KO2s because the Duratracs are more susceptible to punctures. Regardless, a set of tires for off-roading should be replaced well before getting to the tire treadwear indicators. Well before. The treadware indicators are for wet highway performance, not for sand and mud. If your tires on on the worn side, you'll find you have a lot better performance from a set with more tread depth. I generally try to time my tire replacement just before a trip, and when the treadware indicator indicator is halfway into the remaining tread groove.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 10-13-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ_
Thanks Mark! Yes, originally I opted for the manual as they were set at a more reasonable price point but after having used it for 3 months it's pretty much night and day compared to the automatic. Not only is the Jeep not searching for what gear to be in going up and down mountains or even the slightest of hills but I have much more control over my fuel consumption. Off road however has become slightly more complicated but I think it's just me being new to it.

I went to Mendo Pass at The Great Sand Dunes and made about a the first 3/4 of a mile and got stuck in some sand... I didn't take advantage of 4 low because I wasn't thinking but from the smell of it I was burning my clutch so I dug out the sand by hand until I could get back to where it was hard packed. Other than using 4 low what is the trick to driving in the sand (or mud for that matter with not being able to change gears while the clutch is submerged) every time I put it in first and attempted to move forward or reverse the ABS would stop it for one (even when disengaged) and it would stall out almost immediately?
What time of year did you hit the pass? Planning an October trip next year but will be coming down the road from East to West instead of starting in the park side.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ_
What is up fam! So I haven't been on here in a min, thought I'd come through and give you guys an update on what's all happened the 7 or 8 months I've been MIA... So my poor 07 JK froze up on me while I was heading to The Great Sand Dunes here in CO about 4 months ago which left me with 2 options.... 4-5K on a new motor or sell it as is and move on.....

And so I moved on.. It was a sad day watching it go but after 7 years of owning Jeeps I had a much better idea of what I wanted out of a Jeep but the 2 door wasn't cutting it. So after shopping around for a while I finally found exactly what I was looking for! Behold:
Attachment 675449

I wish.......

However this I what I actually purchased!

Attachment 675450Attachment 675451Attachment 675452Attachment 675453Attachment 675454Attachment 675455Attachment 675456Attachment 675457Attachment 675458Attachment 675459Attachment 675460Attachment 675461Attachment 675462

So as you can see it's a Bright white 4 door JK with a manual transmission and a gorgeous interior! I'm wasn't into the matching tops but it works well with the white plus it reflect lots of heat so it works.

Believe it or not this is my first manual transmission but I'm absolutely loving it! Took about 2 weeks to really get it down but now manual is all i'll ever want haha....Only issue is I've put just about 15,000 miles on it in the short time I've had it but what the hell you only live once right?

Anyway from the pics you can see I've been exploring Colorado nonstop, this place it absolutely wonderful and it's highly recommended for those who haven't been yet. Luckily for me I moved here two years ago from a hell hole called Alabama... No regrets there haha

So with the build I'm going the overland route, this is pretty much what I'm envisioning:

Attachment 675463Attachment 675464Attachment 675465
Congrats! The new Jeep looks great! I'm with you on the manual. Manual transmissions and Jeeps go together like bread and butter.

How many miles did you have on your 07 when it locked up? Just curious.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:49 AM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmwil
Congrats! The new Jeep looks great! I'm with you on the manual. Manual transmissions and Jeeps go together like bread and butter.

How many miles did you have on your 07 when it locked up? Just curious.

It had 160,000 so it was up there, but had it been a manual I wouldnt have had this issue. It didnt want to shift up the few seconds prior to it cutting off. I sure do miss it!

Name:	IMG_0063.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	675723
Old 10-28-2017, 07:07 AM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZebraJacket99
What time of year did you hit the pass? Planning an October trip next year but will be coming down the road from East to West instead of starting in the park side.

So this was June 24th, it was a bit warm that day but was epic because at this time of year (i don't know if it happens every year) the river that flows on the east side of the sand dunes (where you come in) was about a foot deep. Very strange place for sure, almost like some time/space twilight shit haha
Old 10-28-2017, 03:02 PM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You need to turn off your ESP. A lot of people are unaware that the one ESP button offers three modes: Fully on, partly off, fully off (which isn't really fully off, but it's pretty good). Fully on is normal operating mode. Partly off is what happens when you push the button briefly. Fully off is what happens when you push and HOLD the button for five to seven seconds or so. If you go to 4-low, then you're automatically in fully off mode. But then you've probably got way too much torque for sand; you might try starting off in a higher gear to mitigate that.

Also, did you air down tires? For general overlanding I air down to about 20 PSI. But, for sandy stretches, I air down much lower--15 or even lower. Also, when stuck, as you're trying to drive forward (gently on the gas to reduce tire spin), rapidly move the steering wheel back and forth to get the front tires to dig better into the dirt. And, if all of that fails, a shovel and MaxTraxs are your friends, and once you're moving, momentum is your friend.

EDIT: A couple final thoughts: I like aggressive AT tires, and have had great performance in sand from Goodyear Duratracs. Currently running BF Goodrich KO2s because the Duratracs are more susceptible to punctures. Regardless, a set of tires for off-roading should be replaced well before getting to the tire treadwear indicators. Well before. The treadware indicators are for wet highway performance, not for sand and mud. If your tires on on the worn side, you'll find you have a lot better performance from a set with more tread depth. I generally try to time my tire replacement just before a trip, and when the treadware indicator indicator is halfway into the remaining tread groove.
I tried all the tricks with ESP to no avail, Jeep makes alot of curious decisions when it comes to the wrangler. And they put 3.6 and 3.8s in the wranglers but we have a 2005 Jeep grand Cherokee that we spent 5k on and it has 5.7l Hemi... I mean come on, what would it take for them to have that option... without inflating the already inflated price. And then this ESP thing, it should just turn completely off with a touch of a button being a "trail rated" vehicle and all.

I did have my tires aired down to about 15psi, Mendeno pass or whatever you want to call it has a air station right at the head of the trail which is incurably convent! But I didn't think of trying a higher gear, now I want to go back just to see if I can make it lol I need some recovery equipment though before I go back out. It was a scary feeling being stuck in the sand right before dark and knowing nobody will be coming through anytime soon but I lucked out by stalling right after the hard packed sand so I didn't have to dig far before I was out of it. '

And thanks for reminding me, I need to start setting aside some money for tires. The ones i have now still have plenty tread but I'm stepping up to 37s or 40s thing is need a lift before so that will be my next move. It snowed here a few days ago and while I was up on Canyon Road over by Buena Vista and the tires did far better than I was expecting for A/Ts

Name:	IMG_0792.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	675730Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0796.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	675731
Old 10-30-2017, 05:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ_
So this was June 24th, it was a bit warm that day but was epic because at this time of year (i don't know if it happens every year) the river that flows on the east side of the sand dunes (where you come in) was about a foot deep. Very strange place for sure, almost like some time/space twilight shit haha
Awesome. Yea I am hoping that with it being Fall when I am out there I will have much less water than during Spring/Summer snow melt. Coming out from the midwest so not wanting to get into too deep of water crossings.

Quick Reply: 2011 JK Overland/Expedition Project