Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited Build (Ending at the Rubicon Trail!)

Old 01-03-2014, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Rubicon Unlimited Build (Ending at the Rubicon Trail!)

Well I've had my 2012 Ruby for 3 months now and I figured I would start my build thread. Be warned...it's a 3 year project that ends (or just begins) at the Rubicon trail in 2017 for my 40th birthday. Just like all of us out there starting to build our JK's, I've had to make so many tough decisions regarding which way to go. Ultimately, some have been made and others still require research and experience. The one area I was set on was the armor so I'm starting there. The suspension, tire size, and many others have yet to be fully decided. My rig will be a DD for at least the next 3 years, so I think I'll be going with 35's for now...but thinking I will build to support 37's.

Below is the list of mods I anticipate, but could change and not limiting myself too:

Stage 1 (Looks Package) - Year 1

One of the resounding bits of information I received during my research is how capable the STOCK Rubicon actually is. So I decided to test the factory suspension over the next year with only slight mods aimed to merely fit my future 35's and get a little more flex. With this in mind I decided to focus on mods that are functional and provide a great deal of curb appeal. I figured this would also help me justify the cash spent right out of the gate...it's gotta look good, lol!

1) Poison Spyder Brawler Lite with Brawler Bar front bumper
2) Warn VR10000s winch
3) Poison Spyder Fairlead Hawse
4) Factor 55 ProLink Loaded Shackle
5) Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers
6) Poison Spyder RockBrawler II Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier
7) Goodyear MT/R Kevlar 35x12.5x17
8) Spidertrax 1.75" Spacer
9) Teraflex 2.5 Budget Boost
10) Bilstein 5100 shocks
11) Cut factor fenders
12) Nitro Sleeves and Gussets
13) Tom Woods 1310 Front Drive Shaft

Stage 2 (Suspension) - Year 2

With over a year of wheeling behind me, I would assume I'll have a better idea of what I'll want for suspension. Although, I may be completely happy with my budget boost and Bilsteins. As of right now I have 2 directions that I'm considering...standard coil and shock or coilovers. I am most concerned with quality of ride and I want to maintain the factory plush Rubicon spring rate (not trying to do corners at 90 mph). Because of this, I'm looking to the guys at EVO Manufacturing. I'm considering the 3" Evo Enforcer package with King 2.5 shocks or their bolt-on coilover system (utilizing King coilovers). But as of right now...I'm going back an forth.

Option 1 (Economic Route)

1) EVO Manufacturing 3" Enforcer kit with King 2.5 shocks
2) EVO Manufacturing Draglink Flip Kit
3) 17" SpyderLock, Walker Evans, or Trail Ready Bead locks

Option 2 (Not so Economical - Coilovers in year 3)
1) EVO Manufacturing ProTek skid system
2) Poison Spyder Sport roll cage
3) Poison Spyder Extreme Duty Trans-Mount Cross Member
4) 17" SpyderLock, Walker Evans, or Trail Ready Bead locks

Stage 3 - Finish out (but we all know it will never be finished)

Option 1 (Economic Route)

1) EVO Manufacturing ProTek skid system
2) Poison Spyder Sport roll cage
3) Poison Spyder Extreme Duty Trans-Mount Cross Member

Option 2 (Not so Economical)

1) EVO Bolt-on Coilover system (w/King Coilovers)
2) EVO Manufacturing Double D Long arm system
3) EVO Manufacturing Draglink Flip Kit
4) Goodyear MT/R Kevlar 37x12.5x17
5) Tom Woods 1310 Rear Drive Shaft
Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Well I took care of some of my list for myself as a Christmas present...can you say Poison Spyder! More in transit...I'm pumped!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image (2).jpg
Views:	594
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	521015Click image for larger version

Name:	image (3).jpg
Views:	513
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	521016Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	560
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	521017
Old 01-03-2014, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Sounds like my kind of build. It will be interesting to see it all come together!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 PM
JK Junkie

Nice, poison spider products are awesome.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default Starting point!

Not that everyone in this forum doesn't know what a stock JKUR looks like, but I wanted to post a pic of MY bone stock JKUR as a reference point. It begins here!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruby - flex.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	521050
Old 01-03-2014, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind you are strapping a bit of weight to her so the stock suspension isn't going to perform like, well, stock. The budget boost addresses height but not spring rate. You have a nice list going sounds like you are getting your plan together good luck keep the photos coming!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rsbmg
Keep in mind you are strapping a bit of weight to her so the stock suspension isn't going to perform like, well, stock. The budget boost addresses height but not spring rate. You have a nice list going sounds like you are getting your plan together good luck keep the photos coming!
Great point...I didn't realize this, but it makes complete since. I'm relatively new to the game...so I'm all ears. I've done quite a bit of research, but additional input from experienced wheelers was half the reason I posted my thread. Do you have thoughts/recommendations? Advice is welcome here.

I considered doing the Enforcer kit with the Bilstein 5100's, but I'd probably need to omit the axle sleeves, gussets, and DS (the kit can be run with factory DS, but not recommended)
Old 01-03-2014, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

Sounds like a great plan! Don't forget a CB, fire extinguisher, and maybe some on board air(think ARB or Viair)
Old 01-03-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by big dr
Sounds like a great plan! Don't forget a CB, fire extinguisher, and maybe some on board air(think ARB or Viair)
10-4.

What do you think about the SmittyBuilt Compressed Air Tank? Supposedly you can run power tools off of it as well. $250...worth it or not? Also, just saw something this past weekend where one of my new wheeling buddies used a Volvo AC Compressor, hooked up to some other do-dads under the hood, and poof...took me from 20 psi to 30 in about 15 seconds. I think you call that a little southern ingenuity, LOL.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gonna be a delight to follow.... Building is the way to go. I bought my 10A fully loaded and must say that having most of the goodies already on, is somewhat boring.

1- I must ask which axle gearing you have and if you plan to regear to go 37s when you do.

2- With budget not seeming to be a major problem, I question you decision to go with wheel spacers rather than new wheels.?!?!

Envoyé depuis mon MB860 avec Tapatalk

Quick Reply: 2012 Rubicon Unlimited Build (Ending at the Rubicon Trail!)