JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Show & Tell (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/)
-   -   3.8L Stroker? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/3-8l-stroker-81207/)

LuffMarine 04-10-2009 03:15 PM

3.8L Stroker?

Does anyone know if anyody has tried stroking the 3.8L? Ay kits availible or is just not an option? The Hemi swap is great in its own regard but I just dont have that kind of cash

ElovesC 04-10-2009 03:22 PM

I am interested in this as well!

bigbluejk 04-10-2009 04:23 PM

haven't you seen all those caravans with strokers?

ironworkerlu21 04-10-2009 06:10 PM

With a good machine shop...you can turn anything into a stroker...Honestly. As far as a "kit"......NADA El Senor

To "Stroke" the 3.8, you would be almost in the ballgame of the Hemi, when all things, including new programming are done.

Nice idea though:gaah:

rancid 04-10-2009 07:19 PM

i think if you pulled the motor and took it to a engine machine shop, there is no way it could close to even hlf what a hemi swap is. hesco did on for the 4.0, im sure there is one on the way. the cost to do the hemi is insane.

Offroadme 04-10-2009 07:27 PM

i agree i would love to do the hemi but im not a million dollar man. way to expensive!! supercharger is the way im going to go one day.

Stuka 04-10-2009 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by rancid (Post 1054704)
i think if you pulled the motor and took it to a engine machine shop, there is no way it could close to even hlf what a hemi swap is. hesco did on for the 4.0, im sure there is one on the way. the cost to do the hemi is insane.

The 4.0 stroker did not have to be custom made. It just uses parts from the 258 (4.2L i6 used before the 4.0) to make a 4.6L stroker (larger if you bore out as well).

For the 3.8, it would have to be a 100% custom crank shaft. Which is not cheap at all. It would be FAR cheaper to just super charge the 3.8L.

Zylfrax791 04-10-2009 09:45 PM

All those companies that swap in the HEMI's have spare 3.8's sitting around for sale for cheap so what would it hurt to swoop up on one, tear it all down and take the crank to a machine shop and see what they could do? You would need longer rods too and check for clearance as well. Probably want to take the camshaft with you as well as they can weld on additional material then machine it down to increase lift & duration. Another thing I noticed and have mentioned before in other threads here is the fact that the 3.8 in the new caravan has a much larger throttle body assy. Might want to look into that as well. Plus the new off road only headers by Borla.

SLeepY_BoY 04-11-2009 10:13 AM

i want to see someone make a stroker kit for the jk, i owuld defenetly buy it, i need more power:synister:

chuck45 04-11-2009 03:48 PM

Stroking motors and such things only works and is affordable when their is a lot of knowledge developed over a long period of time and cheap parts. A good example is the Chevy small block. Any decent machine shop can easily make a 350 into a 383 and the parts are readily available and are known to work. It's the result of millions of built motors and 54 years expereince. We have exactly the opposite with the 3.8. Nobody hops up sidewinder mini-van motors and there is not enough installed base with Jeep JK's for somebody to ramp up to do it right. And given the basic geometry of the motor the results would likely be lousy any way.

I've recently driven two supercharged JK's and I'm not spending my money on either. The results don't justify the cost. Gear it first. If that is not enough the Hemi is the way to fly.