Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

ACE stand alone tire carrier mini review

Old 04-14-2017, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default ACE stand alone tire carrier mini review

So, after much debate I went with the ACE stand alone tire carrier. I moved to 285 70 17 tires recently and just didn't like the idea of the added weight hanging off the stock carrier, especially bouncing around offroad. I chose ACE because it met the most of my wants in a carrier at a fair price. My wish list was: strong, swings with factory gate, adjustable for a wide range of tires/wheels, not over the top heavy, able to mount cb antenna and other accessories, etc. To be honest, the only drawback for me is up and down adjustability...the tire rides a good bit higher than stock. Good for clearance offroad, so I like that..BUT..visibility will suffer.

Finish C+ I'll have to say the finish is only so so. Its a textured powdercoat that had some chips already when I received it even though the packaging was acceptable. Easy to touch up with Rustoleum
bedliner so not a huge deal.

Fit A Easy to install, easy to get adjusted for most any tire/wheel. The tire mounting plate is threaded for a huge 6" bolt which draws the tire in when tightened with an addition set bolt to lock it down.
So, no measuring needed just get it close, throw the tire up there and crank it down until it rests on the rotopax mounts which double as tire stabilizers.

Versatility A As mentioned already, there are mounts for two rotopax containers, a cb mount, and a place for a hi lift. I opted to drill a hole in the gate plate and reuse my cooltech cb mount. At this point I
I don't plan on carrying a hilift so I'm utilizing that spot for a reverse light.

Price B+ Although not chump change, I think you get alot for your money with this carrier.

Overall B+
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1659.JPG
Views:	973
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	670310   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655.JPG
Views:	603
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	670311   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1653.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	670312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1662.JPG
Views:	650
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	670313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1660.JPG
Views:	792
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	670314  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1661.JPG
Views:	676
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	670315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664.JPG
Views:	851
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	670316  
Old 04-15-2017, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowendrider
So, after much debate I went with the ACE stand alone tire carrier. I moved to 285 70 17 tires recently and just didn't like the idea of the added weight hanging off the stock carrier, especially bouncing around offroad. I chose ACE because it met the most of my wants in a carrier at a fair price. My wish list was: strong, swings with factory gate, adjustable for a wide range of tires/wheels, not over the top heavy, able to mount cb antenna and other accessories, etc. To be honest, the only drawback for me is up and down adjustability...the tire rides a good bit higher than stock. Good for clearance offroad, so I like that..BUT..visibility will suffer.

Finish C+ I'll have to say the finish is only so so. Its a textured powdercoat that had some chips already when I received it even though the packaging was acceptable. Easy to touch up with Rustoleum
bedliner so not a huge deal.

Fit A Easy to install, easy to get adjusted for most any tire/wheel. The tire mounting plate is threaded for a huge 6" bolt which draws the tire in when tightened with an addition set bolt to lock it down.
So, no measuring needed just get it close, throw the tire up there and crank it down until it rests on the rotopax mounts which double as tire stabilizers.

Versatility A As mentioned already, there are mounts for two rotopax containers, a cb mount, and a place for a hi lift. I opted to drill a hole in the gate plate and reuse my cooltech cb mount. At this point I
I don't plan on carrying a hilift so I'm utilizing that spot for a reverse light.

Price B+ Although not chump change, I think you get alot for your money with this carrier.

Overall B+

That looks really good. I was just trying to figure out last week which carrier I wanted. It was between the Ace and the Terra. I really liked both. I like the way the Ace looks better, and it is a complete package. But ended up with the Terra because its lighter and theres the up-down adjustment like you talked about the Ace lacking. Thanks for the review.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Teraflex was on my short list too..good choice
Old 04-17-2017, 07:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I'm always looking at these stand alone carriers as I see myself pulling the trigger at some point. I like the small extras that Ace includes, like the rotopax mounts and such. I'm always torn with my thoughts on the carries that "tie" to your tailgate with a link like ACE and Crawler Conceptz vs. the models like Teraflex and Metalcloak that mount directly to the gate itself. Thanks for the review.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'm always looking at these stand alone carriers as I see myself pulling the trigger at some point. I like the small extras that Ace includes, like the rotopax mounts and such. I'm always torn with my thoughts on the carries that "tie" to your tailgate with a link like ACE and Crawler Conceptz vs. the models like Teraflex and Metalcloak that mount directly to the gate itself. Thanks for the review.
I know what you mean. There are lots of good options out there and it was hard to pick one. I considered ACE, JCR, EVO, Teraflex, Crawler Conceptz, Morryde, etc. After months of going back and forth with the pros and cons of each I chose ACE and so far I think I'll be very happy with it. After a few days driving I can also report the thing is dead silent. I think that is partially due to how the tire mounts with the bolt you tighten to draw it in. Hopefully it stays quiet. If not, I'll report back.
The following users liked this post:
Primate (06-28-2020)
Old 05-15-2017, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lowendrider
I know what you mean. There are lots of good options out there and it was hard to pick one. I considered ACE, JCR, EVO, Teraflex, Crawler Conceptz, Morryde, etc. After months of going back and forth with the pros and cons of each I chose ACE and so far I think I'll be very happy with it. After a few days driving I can also report the thing is dead silent. I think that is partially due to how the tire mounts with the bolt you tighten to draw it in. Hopefully it stays quiet. If not, I'll report back.
The ACE was on my shortlist as well and I really liked it, but ultimately I went with the RR. Like you, I was concerned with the lack of up and down adjustability. The RR has some but it is also a lot lower to begin with. Glad you like it, keep us updated on it!

Quick Reply: ACE stand alone tire carrier mini review