Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

BALL JOINTS: TERAFLEX or DYNATRAC?

Old 08-24-2018, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BALL JOINTS: TERAFLEX or DYNATRAC?

Im looking to upgrade my factory ball joints to either the Teraflex or Dynatrac. Obviously the Teraflex price is very attractive at $250 vs the Dynatrac at $580. No doubt great things are being said about the Dynatrac, but the Teraflex is getting good reviews as well. Please share thoughts and opinions. Pic of my 14' JKR for attention. Thanx!

Old 08-25-2018, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Dynatrac and haven't had any issues. Plus they can be rebuilt.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by njdan
I have Dynatrac and haven't had any issues. Plus they can be rebuilt.
Thanx for the reply. The Teraflex can also be rebuild. It's a hard pill to swallow and pay that much for Dynatrac if I could get the same quality and value out of the Teraflex.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Those two really aren't comps IMO. If considering DT, you should compare those to Rare Parts. If considering Teraflex, compare them to Synergy, Alloy, etc. Spending a lot of money on BJs really depends on your use. For most people that have a DD and offroad every now and then, the $2-300 BJs are probably sufficient. If you are our doing heavy rock crawlin type stuff, you may want to consider the next level up. I went with DT's after blowing through a few sets of Synergy. They've been great for 3+ years now. I'd challenge you to find anyone with negative comments about the Rare Parts. They're the only design that does split some of the load to the upper ball joints too, and they have great customer service to boot (as does DT).
The following users liked this post:
CzechMate (08-30-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

TF has a lifetime warranty....but I don't recall seeing them advertised as rebuildable. I put them in after killing my Synergy's simply because they had a better warranty than buying another set of Synergy.

I should note that the Synergy did last me a good while and I kept them greased but the reality is that for very minimal extra $$ (less than $50) you can go to a lifetime warranty product.

Last edited by karls10jk; 08-30-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:11 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I have to stay out of BJ threads....bad juju. Leaving work today....I'll be damned if didn't hit a weird spot in the road and end up with a case of real DW. Passenger BJ (Dynatrac) toast. Even pulled off wheel, brakes, and checked torque on em (wishful thinking). Looks like I'll be figuring out the DT rebuild process. Fun Times. Looked it up on my build sheet. Right at 40k miles and to the month of 3 years pretty decent wheelin'. Moab costing me new BJ and new rear locker in last couple weeks.

Take a good look at the Rare Parts if you're looking to spend a lotta jack....TF if you're not in to spending that much.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for your feedback and sorry to hear about your mishap. I guess even the Dynatrac BJ can let you down. Ughhhh what to do? Would you feel comfortable trying the Teraflex ones?
Old 08-30-2018, 05:58 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The DT rebuild kit is $129, which is decent bit cheaper than it used to be if I recall, and that is a kit to rebuild a full set of 4. That said, rebuilding isn't a walk in a park. Sure, you're not pressing full BJs in and out of the axle which is nice, but watching some vids, looks like you really need a hydraulic press or life will be miserable.

I'd definitely choose the TF over Synergy, Alloy, or the others. It sounds like the few tweaks they've made might have solved the couple minor problems they had. They haven't been out long enough to start hearing numerous failures though IMO. I do recall a couple like Bora Bora that blew some up quick with harder wheelin. The biggest issue we have with our axles is just the amount of available space to press a BJ in to. You're never gonna get something bombproof like a D60 BJ regardless of spending $600. I will say this, replacing BJs kinda sux anyhow, but if TF offers a lifetime warranty, that seems like a decent way to go. Just don't expect them to last a lifetime......just that you won't have to pay for them when you're forced in to replacing.

Given the wheelin my jeep sees, I'm not totally pissed off about 3 years and 40k miles mind you......just frustrated.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Bora had a failure on the earlier style TF joints. I've got another friend (also on 37's) that trashed a joint but it too was the earlier style. Synergy lasted me a long period of time but it's one of those items that you will have to replace again, it's just (as resharp001 mentioned) if you want to pay for them the second, third, fourth go around or not.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Here’s the post they are referring to.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...t-life-344877/

Personally if I could I would go back in time and not buy these ball joints. I am not having performance issues with it’s issues just getting them to take grease. It’s frustrating as all get out. Like Resharp said if you’re going to pay out the scratch for Dynatracs compare Rare Parts ball joints.

Maybe since the redesign on the TF BJs they take grease better. You can review my b!tch about them in that thread.

Quick Reply: BALL JOINTS: TERAFLEX or DYNATRAC?