Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 06-16-2017, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the original wide side steps fit , or do the fenders have to be trimmed.
The "original" flat fender had a step plate attached, the wide running board would give a more finished look to the fiberglass 21st Century version
Old 06-16-2017, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Low
Will the original wide side steps fit , or do the fenders have to be trimmed.
The "original" flat fender had a step plate attached, the wide running board would give a more finished look to the fiberglass 21st Century version
Yes they fit with the factory side steps - I did the original development of the front fender masters when I still had factory steps on my Jeep.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color

Originally Posted by jscherb
I'm going to mold the rears in black fiberglass just as I did with the fronts because I suspect most people might want them black, but since I'm going for a look that's authentic to the original Willys as possible and almost all Willys front fenders were body color, yes I plan to paint them body color.
Painting them body color to match your Jeep color would also give it a different look. Should be amazing!
Old 06-17-2017, 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

I didn't feel like working on the fenders today so I did a little work on the mechanism for the fold-down side table, here's a video showing progress so far. The side table is hinged to the side of the slide, and designed to slide forward. The last piece of the table will hinge to the fold-down part I installed today and everything will fold up so both parts of the side table stow on the side of the fridge between the fridge and the inner fender. I plan to use an inexpensive monopod intended for photography as an adjustable leg to support the table, it's not attached yet but I stuck it under the table in this video to show where it might go.

The side table is 16 x 32, and the drawer-top table is 16 x 24, and with both in position the width table is 32" across the back and 24" deep up to the fridge.

Next I'll make the final piece out of the Walmart folding table I'm holding in position in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2XhEg5sEmA
Old 06-18-2017, 10:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is so useful, Chuck Wagon, or Work Bench, clever !
Old 06-18-2017, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
That is so useful, Chuck Wagon, or Work Bench, clever !
Thanks. Hopefully I'll have time over the next few days to finish it, I'll post final photos and a video when it's done.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

This weekend I got a chance to install/test-fit all of the "production candidate" versions of the mounting brackets I designed for the Multipod LED system. With one exception, they check out, so I'm signing off on all but that one and turning over the installation instructions to the company that's going to bring them to market. I've blanked out the company name in these images...

Background for those who may not have been following since I started the LED project - at SEMA last November I discovered a new component supplier and one of their products is these LED pods (they're a component supplier, they don't sell retail themselves). These pods compare very favorably with the KC Flex LEDs on a spec basis, but at the price the supplier charges for them they should be able to retail for a fraction of the KC lights. I arranged to get some samples and tried to design unique mounts for them for the JK and TJ. I've posted photos of the mount ideas several times in this thread, and what I was testing this weekend were the "production candidate" versions of the mounts I've gotten from the hardware company I arranged to manufacture them. A Jeep accessories company has signed up to bring these to market, so now that I've signed off on the production candidates, they should be available very soon from that company.

I'm also thinking about additional places LEDs could mount and designs of brackets for those locations but I think the list above is plenty for the company to get these launched. If any of you have ideas for additional mounting locations, let me know, maybe I'll build a prototype and see if the company is interested.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How about a roof rack mount for the lights on the XJ/ZJ/WJ or any of the other Js, or even a mount to a roof basket. Pretty sure I could mount those LEDs to my Rhino Rack with little issue.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by akpostal
How about a roof rack mount for the lights on the XJ/ZJ/WJ or any of the other Js, or even a mount to a roof basket. Pretty sure I could mount those LEDs to my Rhino Rack with little issue.
Because there are many different roof racks and many different ways to mount to them whether they've got square, rectangular or round tubing, or perhaps built-in mounting points for accessories, what I've come up with is an AMPS adapter. AMPS is an industry-standard bolt pattern commonly used for electronics devices such as GPS devices, radios and fish finders and there are mounts available with the AMPS bolt pattern to mount to almost any surface. The photos below show a Multipod mounted to an AMPS mount using the adapter; this one has a bolt-down base. The adapter allows mounting the Multipod either on the side or the end, and the standard bolt pattern ensures it will attach to any mount supporting AMPS. For mounting to round bars, for example, a Google search on "AMPS handlebar mount" will turn up lots of options. Ram Mounts has the widest range of mounting solutions anywhere, many of which support AMPS - a search at RAM Mounts - Mobile Mounting Solutions on the term AMPS returns 316 results. Using the Multipod AMPS adapter, an Multipod LED can be mounted pretty much anywhere.

I haven't planned anything specific for the XJ/ZJ/WJ models at this point, I'll have to ask the company if they have any interest in that market.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by akpostal
Speaking of mounting Multipods to racks, a while back my friend Donny and I tried out some mounting locations on his well-equipped Jeep.

The Gobi rack as mounting pads in the front that are perfect:

The Gobi also has mounting pads in the back:

The also bolted right up to his over-the-spare rack:

They could also serve as campsite lights. Using a swivel mount attached to the Gobi they could be positioned optimally for each camp location.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop