Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 07-27-2017, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Yesterday I received the last of the MultiPod LED light brackets from manufacturing and it checks out fine, so the entire collection is ready to go into production. The company that will be selling these has brackets on order from manufacturing and LEDs on order from the LED company, so everything should be available very soon. Here's the JK range...

Windshield mount:

A-Pillar mount:

Hood hinge mount, along with 2-pod and 3-pod adapters:

There's a similar set of brackets for the TJ/LJ.

Generic mounts:

An AMPS adapter plate adapts a MultiPod LED to the many AMPS-standard mounts on the market, such as those from RAM (Search for amps): - Page 1

And finally, in addition to all of the brackets above, each MultiPod ships with a generic bracket, shown below. The hole in the foot of the bracket fits a 5/16 or 8mm bolt, so it will fit on many of the bolts on the JK such as those on the windshield hinges.

I can now check the LED project of my list .

Last edited by jscherb; 07-27-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to these ! Backup Lighting, work lights at last
Old 07-28-2017, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

When Donny and I were trying out the skylight Freedom Panel in the Florida sun, we thought maybe a darker tint glass option might be a good idea, and also a removable sun shade. Here's a prototype snap-in sun shade I sewed this morning, something like this might be useful for times when sun streaming through the skylight isn't desired.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jscherb
It's a Mombasa 9008: https://www.mombasaoutdoor.com/9008-...-roof-top-tent. Along with the basic tent I've got the travel cover (shown in my last post), mounting bars (I use them along with some Surco XJ rack adapters to mount it on the XJ Cherokee rack on my hardtop) and the ladder extension (needed on my LJ, which is a bit taller than the JK).

I'd guess it weighs about 125 pounds, I can lift it up onto the Jeep by myself.

I do like the size - it's fairly compact, but inside it's only a few inches narrower than a queen bed and longer than a queen. And I was able to find an extra long sleeping bag (I'm 6'6") that completely fills it from side to side.
Cool, thanks for the info! Sounds like a nice tent with plenty of space. I'll keep it in mind if I ever decide to pull the trigger on one.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Today's Craigslist find - a Garvin 54" x 72" Wilderness Rack for $150. I've been thinking about a larger rack for my Jeeps for a while and this came along for a price that was less than it would cost to buy just the HiLift and shovel mounts that came with it. Checking it out on the JK Safari:

The rack will easily mount directly to the Cherokee roof rails using Surco J100 adapters.

This is the rack basket I currently use, it's worked great for years on the LJ but at times I could use a larger one:

One nice thing about the larger rack is that I could mount the RTT to it and still have about 2' left over in front of the tent for carrying other gear.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:20 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't plan to permanently install the Garvin rack on the Jeep because I plan to use it on both the JK and the LJ. To make it easy and convenient to put it on either Jeep when I need it, and to store it out of the way, I'll hang it from the garage door rails. When I need it on the Jeep I'll drive that Jeep under it and drop the rack onto the Jeep. Since it will install to either Jeep with simple Surco Cherokee rail adapters, securing it to either Jeep will just be a matter of moving the Surcos to the appropriate position for that particular Jeep.

I haven't installed the Surco brackets to mount the rack to the Cherokee roof rails yet, but I also set the rack on the LJ yesterday to check the size on that Jeep:

The guy I bought the Wilderness Rack from also threw in an unidentified tailgate rack, anyone know who made this? A quick check with a TJ spare carrier shows that the holes line up, so it'll bolt right up to a TJ. I don't need it but the guy wanted me to get it out of his yard so I did him a favor and took it.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

My Deep Cherry Red Pearl paint is scheduled to arrive on Thursday, so I've begun the paint process for the fenders. I did a little block sanding with a long board to remove any deviations from perfectly flat surfaces, and this afternoon I shot them with epoxy primer. Next I'll shoot them with high-build primer, block sand again and then they should be ready for color and clear.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default let us know when we can get our hands on some of these

Originally Posted by jscherb
Yesterday I received the last of the MultiPod LED light brackets from manufacturing and it checks out fine, so the entire collection is ready to go into production. The company that will be selling these has brackets on order from manufacturing and LEDs on order from the LED company, so everything should be available very soon. Here's the JK range...

Windshield mount:

A-Pillar mount:

Hood hinge mount, along with 2-pod and 3-pod adapters:

There's a similar set of brackets for the TJ/LJ.

Generic mounts:

An AMPS adapter plate adapts a MultiPod LED to the many AMPS-standard mounts on the market, such as those from RAM (Search for amps): - Page 1

And finally, in addition to all of the brackets above, each MultiPod ships with a generic bracket, shown below. The hole in the foot of the bracket fits a 5/16 or 8mm bolt, so it will fit on many of the bolts on the JK such as those on the windshield hinges.

I can now check the LED project of my list .
So if you used maybe 4 up front , what would these draw . how would you recommend wiring up ? could 4 of these wire into a cigarette 12v jack or is that a overload ? They look awesome and ill get some for sure
Old 08-01-2017, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
So if you used maybe 4 up front , what would these draw . how would you recommend wiring up ? could 4 of these wire into a cigarette 12v jack or is that a overload ? They look awesome and ill get some for sure
Each LED pod draws about 3/4 amp, so 4 pods would be about 3 amps. I believe the power outlets in JKs have 20amp fuses, so 3 amps is far less than the outlet is capable of supplying.

Since the pods take a fairly small amount of current, wiring isn't very critical - I'd wire them with a simple switch and an in-line fuse that's slightly larger than the number of pods times 3/4 amp, so if you had 10 pods wired, 10 * 3/4 amp = 7.5 amps; I'd use a 10a inline fuse. Unlike high-current halogen or other incandescent lights that usually need a relay to avoid burning up a switch, these can generally be wired with a simple switch. I'd probably do long wiring runs with 14-gauge wire if multiple pods were driven by that wire.

BTW with only a 3/4 amp power draw, each LED pod gives you roughly the same light output as a standard low beam headlight. This photo shows the light from just one pod, you can see the pod sitting on the fender...

In this next series of photos, the lighting on the left is the Jeep's low beam headlights; the lighting on the right is 3 pods in an a-pillar mount:

The 3 pods on the a-pillar mount:

I expect the LED pods and all of the mounting brackets to be on the market within about a month.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default wow ! great , cant wait to get some

Thank u for clearing up the draw on these. And also a description of wiring method .
id imagine id use 6 all together . prob 4 up front and two in the back after seeing the pics of light they throw . Have u noted the life expectancy of one of these ?

Last edited by jeepmojo; 08-02-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop