Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 11-18-2017, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the Flat Classic version of the grill, it's more pleasing to my eye. As for moving the grill lights inboard, that would interfere with the grill guard (bumper hoop ) that I made.
Others may have this issue too, don't want grill guards, winches, etc blocking lights
Old 11-18-2017, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
One other change I might make is to move the marker lights inboard a bit. I've never liked them in their factory outboard position.

for comparison, a factory grille.

I'm definitely liking the classic flat grill idea. Not a fan of the bent slots at all. As for the turn signal lights, like Four Low stated, I'd be concerned with them being blocked by a grill guard or something. Kinda hard to tell if they would be or not without actually seeing one mocked up. I think it looks great however if you're going to leave the front bumper stock or not add a bull bar, winch guard or grill guard. Anything like that may block them. That added with the flat fenders really adds that classic touch..really retro & definitely classic I think! I just wouldn't want to block any lights.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

A concept image showing an approximation of what the JL Grille Kit might look like on my Jeep. This image has the marker lights moved inboard about 2" from the factory location, but they're still outboard of the tow hooks.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

A concept image showing an approximation of what the JL Grille Kit might look like on my Jeep. This image has the marker lights moved inboard about 2" from the factory location, but they're still outboard of the tow hooks.

I'm definitely liking that! Doesn't look like a brush guard or winch guard..whatever would block those at all. I'm thinkn the guys at FCA should get with ya on some of your ideas. You're killn it!!
Old 11-19-2017, 03:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2qik2see
I'm definitely liking that! Doesn't look like a brush guard or winch guard..whatever would block those at all. I'm thinkn the guys at FCA should get with ya on some of your ideas. You're killn it!!
Thank you. I don't think there would be a problem with most front guards blocking the lights either, they're only moved about 2" inboard.

Some people have told me they think FCA is following my threads and using my ideas already - they think it isn't a coincidence that the Africa Concept came out after my JK Safari designs were posted...

Or the Alpine windows in my Safari and the Jeep Switchback concept...

Mine:

Switchback:

There are more coincidences I could point out in other recent Jeep concepts, but I'm sure they're all just are coincidences, just happens that my designs were posted before the concepts came out.

But in the case of this grille kit, I'm trying to replicate the look of the JL grille for the JK, so I'm copying them this time .
Old 11-19-2017, 03:40 AM
JK Super Freak

For comparison, a JL grille:

The preliminary design for the JL Grille Kit for the JK...

The JL grille is narrower at the bottom than the JK grille, and it doesn't have the marker lights in the grille, but the slats are fairly close in this first design exercise printout.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a few minor tweaks to make to the JL grille kit design, but overall I'm pretty happy with the size and positioning of the slats. Haven't decided yet if I should give the grille a forward bend like the JL, or keep the flat curve same profile as the JK.

A JL grille image:

A few photos of the recent "Safari" concept done by FCA, shown at Easter Jeep Safari. It has the forward bend. Seems to be basically a JL grille with marker lights almost centered under the headlights.

Opinions? Keep the fairly flat curve profile of the JK grille or bend the slats forward like the JL?
Old 11-19-2017, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flat grill, lights at outer position. That's the Classic theme. Parking lights outer, for better visibility , clearance for various bumper hoops and styles
Old 11-19-2017, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
Flat grill, lights at outer position. That's the Classic theme. Parking lights outer, for better visibility , clearance for various bumper hoops and styles
Every open Jeep, starting with the original MB/GPW, continuing through the CJ2a, 3a, 3b, M38a1, CJ5/6/7/8 and up to the YJ had the turn signals inboard of the headlights, so to me that's the classic theme. The only 3 open Jeep examples I can think of that don't have the turn signals inboard of the headlights are the Jeepster Commando (that doesn't really count, they're in the grille but technically above the fenders), the TJ (in the fenders) and the JK (outboard of the headlights, in the grille). For me going classic means moving the turn signals inboard of the headlights, or at least centered under them, especially since my Jeep has Willys-style flat fenders.

As for the curve/bend in the grille, every open Jeep since the YJ has a grille with some sort of curve. YJ, TJ, JK, JL. Every Jeep prior to the YJ had a flat grille, so I guess that one's a toss-up. Bending the slats forward is the one detail I haven't decided about yet.

For a comparison of a flatter grille with the JL-style bent slat grille, here's the FCA CJ-SixtySix concept Jeep grille. It has the slight curve that the JK grille has, but has the wider/taller slats, the headlights protrude into the outer slats. The headlights aren't as recessed as the JL or JK grilles. And the turn signals are slightly inboard of the headlights.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Every open Jeep, starting with the original MB/GPW, continuing through the CJ2a, 3a, 3b, M38a1, CJ5/6/7/8 and up to the YJ had the turn signals inboard of the headlights, so to me that's the classic theme. The only 3 open Jeep examples I can think of that don't have the turn signals inboard of the headlights are the Jeepster Commando (that doesn't really count, they're in the grille but technically above the fenders), the TJ (in the fenders) and the JK (outboard of the headlights, in the grille). For me going classic means moving the turn signals inboard of the headlights, or at least centered under them, especially since my Jeep has Willys-style flat fenders.

As for the curve/bend in the grille, every open Jeep since the YJ has a grille with some sort of curve. YJ, TJ, JK, JL. Every Jeep prior to the YJ had a flat grille, so I guess that one's a toss-up. Bending the slats forward is the one detail I haven't decided about yet.

For a comparison of a flatter grille with the JL-style bent slat grille, here's the FCA CJ-SixtySix concept Jeep grille. It has the slight curve that the JK grille has, but has the wider/taller slats, the headlights protrude into the outer slats. The headlights aren't as recessed as the JL or JK grilles. And the turn signals are slightly inboard of the headlights.

I like the flat slats with the signals in-board. I come from a family owning cj's so I'm partial to that..lol

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop