Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 12-01-2017, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm liking the bottom design! Kinda retro-ish..
Old 12-03-2017, 04:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
Finally got around to installing the complete set of prototype HD door hinges. Up until now I had only installed one on each side to test and use the door hinge steps; last week I installed one more to test some ideas for hinge mounted Rotopax and HiLift carriers, and today I finally installed the rest of the set.

With a step installed:

I like the look of these hinges a lot better than the factory ones.

Next I need to repair the corrosion underneath the hinges that was designed-in by Jeep - every JK/JKU up through sometime in the mid-2015 model year (and maybe later models too) will have corrosion under the hinges due to a bad design decision made at Jeep. As I'm fixing the corrosion I'll write step-by-step instructions for the fix.
Repaired the corrosion under my hinges yesterday. Here's the step-by-step process...

Old 12-03-2017, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's enough detailed DIY information in this thread to sustain JK mods for YEARS!
Thank you
Old 12-03-2017, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

I pulled the grille off the JK this morning so I could do a JL Grille Kit mockup.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

The paper mockup has the same profile as the JK factory grille, but the JL grille slats bend forward a bit:

The TJ and YJ grille slats also bent forward a bit, I don't have a YJ handy but this shows the TJ bend, which is very slight and less than the JL bend (also here's a CJ grille on my LJ, which is unfortunately obscured a bit by my plow, it's that time of year). Don't mind the turn signals on the mockup sticking out too far, they're just held to the surface with tape for the purpose of this mockup.

I'm thinking the new grille for the JK should bend forward like the JL grille.
The following users liked this post:
TrailBadger (01-29-2018)
Old 12-03-2017, 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

If one wanted to do a more accurate JL impersonation, the turn signals could be put in the fenders. I obviously don't have factory fenders, but my flat fenders do have a place to mount lights.

Wouldn't be too hard to mount some lightweight LED strips just below the JK fenders to imitate the JL look.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

I've used the DIY awning on two expeditions now, and it's worked out very well on both Jeeps.

I love the look of the "fake rattan" of the Ikea shade I used, but it's starting to show some signs of stress already. Intended to be an interior window shade, it appears the fake rattan won't be up to long-term use outside, so I replaced it with new fabric. I used coated Cordura nylon, a fabric used by the military for all kinds of applications.

This fabric is extremely strong, and with its waterproof coating it'll shed rain, which the fake rattan wouldn't.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:44 AM
JK Super Freak

When I was at the SEMA Show last month I posted that for a while now I've wanted to experiment with on board air system designs. At the show I talked with a compressor company and they supplied me with a compressor and tank to prototype with.

I'm looking at several solutions for mounting the compressor in the Jeep. It fits very nicely inside a Jeep wheel, so it could be mounted inside the spare carrier on the tailgate to avoid taking up space inside the Jeep.

In this photo it's sitting on top of the spare carrier to show the comparison in size, it could fit inside the carrier without too much trouble.

I may also work up a mount to go in the inner fender ammo can trays, this would work in both my JKU and the LJ. Shown is the compressor sitting in the tray in the JKU.

The company also gave me an air tank to experiment with. A tank isn't really needed if all the compressor is being used for is airing up tires, but if air tools are to be run it would improve the usability quite a bit. It turns out there's plenty of room underneath both Jeeps to mount the tank, in this photo I'm holding the tank in place under the floor of the LJ. The tank is above the bottom of the frame rails and driveshaft so it's a fairly safe place for it. The compressor could also easily mount underneath, but I'm not sure I'd want to subject it to the environment under there.

I welcome any ideas or input you might have; I'm just starting this design project so any and all ideas for the design are welcome. What would you like to see in an on-board air system and where would you like to have it mounted?
Old 12-06-2017, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

A quick test - if the compressor were mounted inside the spare carrier, how easy would it be to reach the front of the Jeep to air up the tires? In this photo I've clamped a recoil air hose to the spare carrier, it easily reaches the front of the Jeep.

I picked up this hose for about $5. It recoils back to a size that's very easily stored.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Some of those compressors prefer to be mounted horizontally. Does the air inlet get routed to the inside of the jeep? I've got the viair 400c under the hood with the tank for comparison. I don't see much air flow happening behind the tire unless folks want to run the air conditioning to keep air flowing over the head. I run the radiator fan while I use my compressor with the hood open.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop