Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 12-06-2017, 12:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have factory bumpers, and noticed that there's space in the backside of the front bumper, that open channel section . That channel is steel, so mounting would be strong, and a anti Splash shield could protect it both tank and compressor
Old 12-06-2017, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Some of those compressors prefer to be mounted horizontally. Does the air inlet get routed to the inside of the jeep? I've got the viair 400c under the hood with the tank for comparison. I don't see much air flow happening behind the tire unless folks want to run the air conditioning to keep air flowing over the head. I run the radiator fan while I use my compressor with the hood open.
Thanks for the input. When I met with the compressor manufacturer at SEMA I asked them about limits on the orientation of this compressor and they said it could be mounted in any orientation.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
I have factory bumpers, and noticed that there's space in the backside of the front bumper, that open channel section . That channel is steel, so mounting would be strong, and a anti Splash shield could protect it both tank and compressor
Thanks, I'll take a look at the bumper.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

While I'm working on on-board compressor and tank mounting designs, I'm also going to implement a portable air solution - I'll install the compressor in an ammo can. The idea is that I could use this air supply any of my Jeeps, just throw the can in the back and take it out when I need air. I've picked up all the bits and pieces I'll need, and everything will fit nicely inside a Fat 50 can.

I've got an inexpensive jumper cable set which will be used to connect the compressor to the Jeep's battery. I'll cut the clamps off one end of it and make permanent connections inside the ammo can. A 25' coiled air hose will also fit inside the can. The main parts:

I've got a pressure regulator to automatically turn off the compressor when it's not in use. Haven't decided if I'll include the pressure gauge in the design or not, or if it even needs a power switch - when it gets connected to the battery the compressor will run a few seconds until the air hose is up to pressure, then it will shut off. When air is being used, the compressor will start up, and when air is no longer being used it will shut off, so it may be that a switch is unnecessary.

Comments and suggestions on this idea also very welcome.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will there be sufficient ventilation in Ammo can to prevent overheating, even with lid open?
Old 12-07-2017, 05:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
Will there be sufficient ventilation in Ammo can to prevent overheating, even with lid open?
I'll be testing that. The plan if more ventilation is needed: vent grilles to the sides of the can, and if that's not enough I'll add a small 12v muffin fan like those that cool computer power supplies.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Another electrical project I'm working on...

I've been asked to update my fridge power system into a design that could go into production. My current implementation (pictured below with the fridge slide pulled out to provide a better view) works very well - above the inner fender I'm using a MORryde ammo can mount to hold the fridge battery. The power panel is at left, bolted to the side of the battery tray. It's got voltage and amperage displays and a power outlet for the fridge. It's wired so the fridge runs off the battery when the Jeep isn't running, and when the Jeep is running the fridge battery gets recharged by the Jeep and the fridge runs off Jeep power. The fridge can run all the time without draining the Jeep battery, usually the fridge will run 3 days before the fridge battery voltage falls enough so the fridge shuts off, but as long as the Jeep is driven a bit in those 3 days the battery will get topped off.

My current version taps into the Safari Cab hardtop power which won't work for everyone else, so I'm planning a small redesign to make it plug-and-play with the Jeep, and probably going to add a few features.

These next photos show a mockup of what I think I'll do. I'll make it a more general kitchen power system, the power panel is larger and contains two outlets plus two USB connections as well as the voltage and amperage displays. One of the outlets would be switchable between constant power and Jeep power, for things you only wanted to power when the Jeep is running, the other outlet would be constant power only (for the fridge).

It would mount on the side of the tray as shown below, but it could mount elsewhere if that made sense for someone's particular implementation.

I'm still in the design phase, so I'd like to hear any comments or suggestions you've got.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I enjoy watching what you've got happening and if I had the time/ tools/ skill, I'd like to think I'd be doing the same thing.

On those USB plugs and cigarette outlets- do you have a manufacturer that could do a small LED glow to them? Camping out of the back of a jeep is tough with the marginal light in the rear. Having them lit up, even a little bit, would make it easier to find and utilize them in low light conditions.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I enjoy watching what you've got happening and if I had the time/ tools/ skill, I'd like to think I'd be doing the same thing.

On those USB plugs and cigarette outlets- do you have a manufacturer that could do a small LED glow to them? Camping out of the back of a jeep is tough with the marginal light in the rear. Having them lit up, even a little bit, would make it easier to find and utilize them in low light conditions.
The power sockets I have aren't lighted, but when I turn my prototype over to the company I can suggest they try to source lighted ones for production. The USB outlets I have are lighted, you can see the LED in the photo.

If you're running a fridge most likely you'd keep that one plugged in all the time, so at least that one you wouldn't have to find in the dark. The second outlet could be used for whatever else you might want, although I'm also doing a pump for the sink in the Trail Kitchen and it would use the second outlet if you've got the sink and pump installed.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:36 PM
mrw
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK8 hardtop

Originally Posted by jscherb
I installed the new skylight hinges yesterday and they checked out fine - fit is great and they seem to spring back and hold their shape. The photo below is a quick shot showing the full set of preproduction hardware in place (ignore the lights in the ceiling of the room this hardtop is set up in ).

Now that I've got the final hardware, I'll install a skylight in another Freedom Panel, photographing and documenting each step of the installation in preparation for writing the instructions for the kit.
Jeff, I finally got back onto my JK* project and just had it painted. Can you tell me where you sourced you hinges and latch. I have decided to make the windows vent rather then having them in the fixed position. I was looking at the way the FJfreedom pop out widow kit worked and I thought it would be nice to have the window removable. Unfortunately they have not responded to my email or phone calls. How did you fasten the hinges to the shell? I will have to bond a mounting plate to the inside because that part of the top is single ply. Thanks for any help you can provide.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5019.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	739.6 KB
ID:	676392

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop